Ivan
Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech. 20+ years experience. 9 years self employed. Expert on AUTOLAB Radio Show

cavalier: clicking noise at heater fan..fan speed.

Customer Question

05 cavalier clicking noise at heater fan. any fan speed. any output setting except recirculate. goes away when warm. very loud as clicks go. evan when fan switch is off. dosen't sound like door movement
Submitted: 4 years ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ivan replied 4 years ago.

HelloCustomer does the clicking get faster as you increase the fan speed?

Your JA Expert,

Ivan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
NO. FREQUENCY STAYS CONSTANT
Expert:  Ivan replied 4 years ago.

It sounds like you have a faulty mode door actuator . If it has failed, the gears would overrun making that noise. Here is a picture of what it looks like, but it will take some dash disassembly to get a view of it.

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
YOU CAN HEAR THE DOORS OPEN AND CLOSE AND IN RETURN POSITION IT DOSEN'T MAKE THE NOISE. ALSO IT WON'T MAKE THE NOISE WHEN WARM.
Expert:  Ivan replied 4 years ago.

Remove some of the components from the dash like the glove box to get access and with it clicking, try to see if you can place your hand on the device that is noisy

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I DO APPRECIATE THE HELP AND HAD IT ACTUALLY HELPED I WOULD HAVE ACCEPTED. I USED TO BE A MECHANIC BUT HAVE BEEN RETIRED. MAYBE NEXT TIME AND I WILL PAY MORE.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

IT DIDN'T HELP ME. HAD IT HELPED ME I WOULD HAVE ACCEPTED. THE INFORMATION WASN'T HELPFULL AND I SENT MY DAUGHTER BACK HOME. SHE LIVES 3 HOURS AWAY AND TOLD HER TO TAKE TO THE CHEV. DEALER. I KNEW ALREADY WHERE THE CLICK WAS I JUST DIDN'T KNOW WHAT IT WAS.

I WOULD EXPECT THAT YOU WOULD NOT CHARGE MY CREDIT CARD FOR AN ANSWER THAT DID NOT HELP.

Expert:  Ivan replied 4 years ago.

No you don't get charged if you don't accept and no problem at all with that. When it's issues that are hard to get to, this makes it a little more difficult to guide you to success. It's not a small task and might have required removing the heaterbox to replace the actuator, which would have been a huge task. That said, you may have made a wise choice before getting yourself into a bigger project that you would have wanted to. Feel free to call upon me again in the future if you need help again. It would be my pleasure to assist.

Ivan