Wicked Wrench
Wicked Wrench, Master ASE/GM Tech 25 Years
Experience:  Master ASE/ GM Tech 25 years with GM
20496363

Tahoe: Z71..a red light is on the dash and it will not allow me

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Z71 Tahoe that will not turn over due to security issues. I believe the car might have still been armed when I started it then it automatically shut off and a red light is on the dash and it will not allow me to restart...I am having a HUGE problem, please HELP!
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Wicked Wrench replied 7 years ago.
Have you tried a Theft Deterent Relearn? Give it a shot & see what happens...

30 MINUTE LEARN PROCEDURE

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
  2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON; the vehicle will not start.
  3. Observe the SECURITY telltale; after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
  4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds .
  5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes ; the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.
  6. Start the engine. The vehicle has now learned the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or password. IMPORTANT: The vehicle learns the Passlock Sensor Data Code and/or password XXXXX the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.
  7. With a scan tool, clear any DTCs, if needed. History DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I dont have a scan tool for #7, is this necessary?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I dont have the tools for number 7 what do I do?
Not necessary, but should be read to see what the underlying problem is.