JHoop
JHoop, Chevy Technician
Experience:  14 Year Engine Builder,16 years as a Tech HvyLine, Suspension, Electrical, Brakes, 6 Year Shop Owner
4700517

2000 Cavalier: 2.2L..automatic..the bolts that holds the starter..5th

Customer Question

Have confusion with the starter wiring connections for a 2000 Cavalier 2.2L automatic that's been thru an unknown number of owners before me.
Starter was failing, so went to replace. Main connector on the selenoid had three wires connected, had one wire to the small connector on the selenoid, then one wire connector to one of the bolts that holds the starter together.
Got a new starter, but not eager to pull the bolt that holds it together out to connect the 5th wire. All the books and wiring diagrams say there should be two or three wires - but I have five.
How should all these wires be connected on the starter for sure?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  JHoop replied 4 years ago.
Hello C57, my name isXXXXX you for choosing justanswer.com. The purple wire goes to the smallest terminal. Any other wire that is bigger does not go there. Follow the wires that may not look factory. Someone may have bypassed the system. Rigged it. If you have any more questions or need any more diagrams, please dont hesisitate to ask...Thanks again, JHoop
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Guessing it sounds like the "rigged" idea. Like I said, has 5 coming out of the harness, and don't remember purple being one of the choices. What should the standard harness to the starter on that model have?

Expert:  JHoop replied 4 years ago.
Purple wire operates the starter. Is the purple wire hooked to smallest terminal on the starter, (see my answer) ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Nope, not purple JHoop. Got back out to it today in the daylight and the one that went to the small connector on the selenoid was redish.

Did see a purple wire coming from the harness, it goes to a relay labeled as OMRON 12177235. Since its a relay, going away from the idea of thinking this is "rigged". Can see one at this link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260509636310&viewitem=

Checked continuity and in that relay the purple appears to connect to the redish one that goes to the selenoid small connector.

But also connecting to that relay is one of the three wires that was originally on the power post of the selenoid, which is on the side of the relay (and connects to) the small black wire that was originally connected to one of the long bolts that actually holds the starter motor together.

Which was where my problem started, because I wasn't eager to remove one of the bolts that hold the new $175 starter together if that wasn't the standard procedure.

And none of the books or directions that I've gotten say to do that.

The third wire that was originally connected to the selenoid power post goes into a different harness and my guess would be it sends full-time 12v to somewhere else in the car - so not really worried about that one.

So, since they bothered to put in a relay and are running the ignition wire thru it to the selenoid and then running 12v to it then running a wire out of it - guessing that extra wire should connect somewhere - but still not eager to unbolt what holds the starter together to connect it without some professional advise giving me a good reason to go that route.

Can you make me feel good about it, or should I be connecting the extra wire from the relay somewhere else? And can I kill my starter if I hit a bad combination?

Clayton

Expert:  JHoop replied 4 years ago.
Take a look at the diagram . Let me know what you think about the purple wire. I uploaded the procedure in .pdf format here to justanswer. You can download it by clicking HERE. I hope this helps you. If you have any more questions or need any more diagrams, please don't hesisitate to ask...Thanks again, JHoop
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yeah, seen one of these. But on the car - the wire the diagram has marked as 5PPL6 and shows connecting to the selenoid - instead goes to the relay labeled as OMRON 12177235. And again, also going to that relay, is a wire that was connected to the power side of the selenoid with the 12v from the battery and then coming out of that relay is the mystery connection that I'm not wild about connecting.

Like I said, none of the schematics from Chilton, Haynes, web, or from the parts house shows the relay in a diagram. But since it seems like a standard GM part, probably is supposed to be there.

Expert:  JHoop replied 4 years ago.
That relay was an add-on rig. Have you taken the purple wire anmd put an eyelet connector on it, and attach it to the small terminal of the starter topo see if it cranks? I believe I discussed that test earlier.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Was hoping to come to an answer without cutting wires.

Will think on it awhile.

Expert:  JHoop replied 4 years ago.
Did you want it to work? Or, did you want it to work with the rig?
JHoop, Chevy Technician
Experience: 14 Year Engine Builder,16 years as a Tech HvyLine, Suspension, Electrical, Brakes, 6 Year Shop Owner
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Wanted it to work safely.

Found this GM Recall 04002 on the NHTSA/DOT site that talks about how they would add a relay that would prevent high current from going thru the ingnition switch at starting, also see it out here from where you had addressed it at one time: http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/JHoop/2008-03-22_205813_recall.pdf

Is there any way to find out what specific instructions and parts were used by GM for that recall - and if the relay I'm seeing with the ignition wire routed thru it is the result.

If the relay that the purple wire goes into and the other relay wire connecting to the starter body is the fix - not sure cutting the purple wire is the best choice.

Expert:  JHoop replied 4 years ago.
I uploaded the procedure in .pdf format here to justanswer. You can download it by clicking HERE. I hope this helps you. If you have any more questions or need any more diagrams, please don't hesisitate to ask...Thanks again, JHoop
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Bingo.

Expert:  JHoop replied 4 years ago.
I feel relieved.Laughing