Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

2001 Venture: warms..shifts hard..I hear a whinning when I accelerate

Customer Question

I have a 2001 Venture. I am getting a code P1811 Max Adapt, long shift. Once the vehicle warms up it shifts hard and I hear a whinning when I accelerate. Any advice on the problem and the possible fix?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 6 years ago.
This problem is common to these vehicles. The fix is to replace the transmission pressure control solenoid. This is located under the side cover of the transmission on the valve body. The engine and transmission must be lowered slightly from the vehicle to gain access to remove the side cover.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
So, I may not have to replace the entire transmission?
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 6 years ago.
That is correct. I have had complete sucess repairing the p1811 code by replacing the pressure control solenoid. When the computer sets this fault code, it commands full line pressure which causes harsh shifts. Once the solenoid is replaced, everything returns to normal.