Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

GM: 09 silverado LS.Ive added the dic..ambient..new sensor..harness

Customer Question

I was hoping someone might know....I have an 09 Silverado LS.I've added the DIC to the truck but I want to see if I can hook up the ambient air(outside)temp sensor.I know GM moved the read out from the rear view mirror to the DIC display. I have the new sensor part # XXXXX but I'm not sure if the plug and harness are on the truck or not? Has anyone done this mod yet? If not does anyone know where the plug in might be tide into? It seems GM pretty much wires these things for most options and then just adds whats ordered on the truck. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.

If you have automatic air conditioning, the sensor and wiring are already on your vehicle. If you have manual air conditioning the sensor will not be there, not certain about the wiring. The factory sensor mounts behind the grille on the support bar slightly to the passenger side of center. The illustration below shows as if you are looking at the front of the truck with the grille removed. If the wiring is there you will find a two wire connector taped back to the harness. The wire colors will be light green/black and dark green.

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: LF

(1)Upper Tie Bar
(2)Hood Ajar Switch (AP3/AP8)
(3)Ambient Air Temperature Sensor (CJ2/C67)

Connector looks like this:

Object Number: 684793  Size: CH

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My 09 Silverado is a LS> It has manual A/C. There is a plug on the passengar side of the trck down low by the fron bumper.I assumed this was for the optional fog lights that some of the trucks had.Any idea if the wiring from the temp sensor runs to the driver or passengar side? Thanks.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
The connector down low by the bumper should be for the fog lights. If the temp sensor wiring is there it will be up behind the grille area. If you find a connector up behind the center of the grille area, look at the wire colors to verify it is the correct one.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ya I dont see any thing right up by the grill area. Do you know if the harness that runs to the sensor comes from the drivers or passengar side of the truck.I'm wondering if its not tied back in the harness some where. I wonder if I can go to GM and buy the harness for the temp sensor? Thanks again for the help!

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
If you do not see the plug behind the grille area, it is not likely on your truck. You can purchase the connector through your local GM dealer parts department. The part # XXXXX the connector is 13543521.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No idea which side of th truck the harness comes from?
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.
The harness comes from the drivers side, then runs across the front of the vehicle.
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience: ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks Dave for your time!
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 4 years ago.

You are welcome. Thanks for using Just Answer and Happy Thanksgiving.