Super Mechanic
Super Mechanic, Master technician
Experience:  29 yrs. exp., ASE master, cert. in G.M. electrical, a/c, susspension, brakes, electronic steering
2947720

I need to fix the horn on my truck. The horn itself works

I need to fix the horn on my truck.
The horn itself works
previous owner bypassed the wiring and mounted button in dash, this will not pass Delaware inspection.
ripped out backyard mechanic wiring and now no horn so the original problem still exists.
where do i start the diagnosis.
Had the steering wheel button off all seems to be in order.
The fuse box doesn't even have a horn label
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Super Mechanic replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

It sounds like the horn switch or the slilp ring in the steering column is bad if they had a switch mounted on the dash. You will want to check to see it the black wire is being grounded, (at the bottom of the steering column) when the horn pad is pushed.

Normally, when you test it with a 12v test light, (from ground) it will activate the relay and the horn will sound.

graphic

Also, the fuse is in the under hood fuse box.

graphic

graphic

Here is a diagram of the horn circuit that will help you to find the problem.

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well I told u it was a 1998 pick up
I was wrong its a1990 pick up
No wonder none of the wiring diagrams made any sense
Fuse box is in the dash above the p brake lever, what circuit would the horn be o there is no horn label on the fuse box.
What does the horn relay look like as far as #s or labels

Let me see what I have on that. Remember this is a pay site, thanks

graphic

PartOEM Part
Horn Relay14100455

graphic

The horn relay is in the convenience center located under the instrument panel and on the left side of the steering column.

graphic

graphic

Edited by Super Mechanic on 11/29/2009 at 3:10 PM EST
Super Mechanic, Master technician
Experience: 29 yrs. exp., ASE master, cert. in G.M. electrical, a/c, susspension, brakes, electronic steering