Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

My 2001 tahoe in the message center shows the battery light

My 2001 tahoe in the message center shows the battery light blinking, I changed the alternator, and it was still on even though the volts came back up, the light is still on, i replaced the battery, it is still on
ok what has to be done is 2 things..first the truck needs to have the alternator tested with it in the truck and the AMP'S tested.and of course the battery retested.but if both pass the test they a scantool needs to be plugged into the computer to see what the computer is reading for voltage.the computer sends that voltage reading to the dash cluster and if the computer is reading proper voltage in its data list then there is a problem with the dash cluster..but those tests need to be done to narrow down the problem
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I had the alternator checked in the truck, and also the new battery, they are fine, the volt meter was at 9 volts until I replaced the alternator, then it went to just under 15 volts, the truck runs perfect, someone else suggested a scantool but that costs money so I thought I would try you guys, I guess there is no way to just reset this is there?
well if you can get it scanned to see what the computer is reading for voltage.more than likley it is reading correctly then there is a problem with the dash cluster.there is no reset for that.if the battery light is lit up then its one of 2 things its not charging (which you said you had it tested and it passed)then if the computer is reading the correct voltage then the dash cluster is bad..they use one wire called a serial data wire that sends all the information to the dash cluster..and that wire is good because all othr guages ect..are working
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Well what do you suggest I check next
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I need someone to help me
i would have the truck plugged into a scan tool and view the computer data.and if the computers data list shows proper voltage the dash cluster is bad
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
All other gages are working properly, so that's not the problem
what i am saying is with all the other guages working fine it shows that the one wire is sending the information to the cluster.so either the computer is not seeing the proper voltage and is sending what it is reading OR the computer is reading properly and the dash cluster is bad
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Will this hurt anything by running the tahoe? everything else seems to be fine. If the cluster is bad does that mean I have to replace the dash or the hole harness?
no it will not hurt anything as long as the alternator and battery are good..just a light on is annoying.the dash guage cluster would need to be changed..harness should be fine.just the cluster assembly
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Do you mean all the gauges? Another question, at the beginning of the year I installed a Jet Performance Programmer for more horse, do you think that I should have removed and re-install after I put in the alternator and battery
no that should have no affect at all..yes it is one piece unit the complete guage cluster
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

What more info would you like

nothing else..just like i told you if the computer is reading the correct voltage then the cluster is bad
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Well I think we are almost done, will the bad cluster hurt my vehicle in any way?
no.like i said as long as its charging it will be fine..worse case down the road since a few more guages or false information lights can pop on and off..just adress them if you come on.just be sure its charging properly