Super Mechanic
Super Mechanic, Master technician
Experience:  29 yrs. exp., ASE master, cert. in G.M. electrical, a/c, susspension, brakes, electronic steering
2947720

Monte carlo ss: abs..the traction light comes..car starts..wheels

02 monte carlo ss,the abs and the traction light comes on when the car starts, then the check traction light goes out. If I pull out of the driveway and the light is on and I stop,turn the wheels straight, turn off the engine, and restart all lights stay off till I slow down and turn back in. there is no noise or anything. where do I start? thanks Jim

Hello and welcome to Just answer.com, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

There are many areas of the ABS/TCS system that will cause the light to come on when there is a malfunction in them. The first thing you would want to do is to have it scanned for trouble codes, (current and history) to see where the problem may be.

There has been a service bulletin for the front wire harness on them, you will want to check them as well, if the code(s) points to the front wheel speed sensor area.

Brakes - ABS Lamp ON Intermittently/Constantly
Notes

Bulletin No.: 03-05-25-008

Date: October 01, 2003

TECHNICAL

Subject:

Intermittent/Constant ABS MIL Illuminated (Replace Both Front Wheel Speed Harnesses)

Models:
2001-03 Buick Century, Regal
2001-03 Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo
2001-02 Oldsmobile Intrigue
2001-04 Pontiac Grand Prix

Condition

Some customers may comment on an intermittent or constant ABS malfunction indicator light.

Cause

The front wheel speed sensor harness may wear or come into contact with the tie rod end stud. Additionally, the harness may, in some instances, loop over the tie rod stud. In this case, the wheel speed sensor should be examined for damage.

Correction

Replace original wheel speed sensor harnesses by splicing in revised wheel speed sensor harnesses. The new design harnesses are of a different length and have revised retention clip locations.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
will it hurt to drive approx. 130 miles? thanks Jim
No, as long as the brake pedal is good and the brakes work. When the ABS/TCS system has a malfunction and the light comes on, the brakes will operate as a normal, non ABS braking system.