Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Chevy Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

1988 K1500 4X4: ACTUATOR, REPLACED TRANSFER CASE SWITCH..WHATS..wiring

1988 K1500 4X4, REPLACED FRONT DIFF. ACTUATOR, REPLACED TRANSFER CASE SWITCH, FUSE IS GOOD, STILL NO POWER TO ACUATOR, WHATS UP? IS THERE A FUSABLE LINK? WIRING SCH. NOT IN MANUEL(CHILTONS OR OTHERS).
Would you like a copy of the schematic to help you out?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I DONT READ SCHEMATICS REAL GOOD BUT I'LL TAKE A LOOK AND SEE IF I CAN MAKE IT OUT.

OK. It is a confusing circuit, and GM's old schematics don't make it any easier, but here it is for you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
OK IM STILL CONFUSED, THIS ACUALLY LOOKS LIKE A LATER MODEL AS MY 1988 HAS NO CONVEINENCE CENTER. FROM WHAT I'M SEEING AND BELIEVE ME I COULD BE WRONG BUT THE POWER IS COMING FROM THE 50 AMP ON THE CONVIENENCE CENTER, RIGHT?
You have a convenience center. It's what looks like a fuse block under the dash, but there are no fuses in it (at least, I don't recall there being fuses in it. Fuse block is actually up next to the steering column... again, playing from memory here.). The convenience center actually sits on top of the passthru for the wiring harness on the left side of the firewall, right up under the dash.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
SO DID I READ THE SCHEM. PROPERLY?
4WD 25A fuse feeds circuit 50, brown wire, which goes to the transfer case switch, which when closed sends power to the actuator. That's the path I see.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
IS THAT A RELAY OR SOMETHING IN THE CIRCUT 50 AT THE CONVIENCE CENTER
Nope, that's just an electrical plug. It plugs right in there, you'll see it.