Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master, L1, 32 years, Diagnostic / Electrical Specialist
13677702

I turn the ignition key, I hear a clicking sound and the engine

when I turn the ignition key, I hear a clicking sound and the engine will not turn over.

Hello, can you send me the model of the Chevy and the engine size and whether 4x4 or not. LMk thanks

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
chevy s10, engine size 4.3, and it is a 4x4
Thanks. the click you hear, is it a fairly loud click or a relay clicking faintly?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The click is fairly loud and rapid

What you are hearing is the starter solenoid clicking. Normally when the starter is bad, the solenoid on the starter lets out a fairly loud click with each turn of the key.Just one click with each turn. The fact it is rapid click like ratcheting sound is more the symptom of low battery or bad connection at cable or terminal. I know you tried to jump start but it is possible the cables did not make good connection or the battery terminal themselves have bad connection, I would start by charging or jumping the battery again. While the jumpers are charging the battery, remove the terminals and be sure clean then reinstall them and be sure tight. Continue with jumpers and try cranking agin after jumpers have let your battey get a good charge. be sure the vehicle you are jumping with is running. If you know your battery accepted a good jumping, terminals are clean and tight,. you have a bad starter./ Ypou would be surprised that battery terminals a cn look 100?5 but just looseningand retighten makes the connection neeeded. it does not take much of a bad or weak connection to cause your problem