GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

How do you add automatic transmission fluid to 2004 Chevrolet

Customer Question

How do you add automatic transmission fluid to 2004 Chevrolet Optra and what type,capacity when changing fluid. Transmission fluid is leaking from the hose going to radiator. Thank you.Quick response please.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 4 years ago.
Welcome. There are 2 different automatic transmissions. What is your VIN?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Just checked. VIN is KL1JK52Z64K985526.

Is DexronV1 tranny fluid compatible with this vehicle (dealer recommended)?

Ok, honestly the RPO code was useless, which really surprised me. So I will post both and you can tell which is right.

The first is the ZF 4hp 16 which uses

ISU H50235 or ESSO LT 71141 (Canadian P/N 89021903

Inspection Procedure

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

1. Start the engine and allow the engine to idle for approximately 5 minutes. If possible drive the vehicle for a few kilometers (miles) to warm the transaxle fluid.
  2. Inspect the fluid level when the transaxle temperature is greater than 30°C (86°F).

3. Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

4. With the brake pedal depressed, move the shift lever through the gear ranges, pausing a few seconds in each position.
  5. Return the shift lever to the Park position.
  6. Notice: Refer to Vehicle Lifting and Jacking Notice in the Preface section.

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

7. Raise and suitable support the vehicle.
  8. Place a fluid container below the fluid level plug.
  9. Caution: When the transmission is at operating temperatures, take necessary precautions when removing the check/fill plug, to avoid being burned by draining fluid.

10. Using DT 46475 (1) remove the fluid level plug. Because the transaxle operates correctly over a range of levels, fluid may not drain out of the plug hole when the plug is removed.

11. Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

12. Inspect the oil fluid level.
  13. If fluid does not drain through the plug hole after adding a total of 4 liters, then either the transaxle was underfilled or the transaxle is leaking fluid. Inspect the transaxle for fluid leaks. Fix any leaks before setting the transaxle fluid level. Refer to Fluid Level Set After Service below.
  14. Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in the Preface section.

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

15. Using DT 46475 (1) install the fluid level plug.
  16. Tighten
    Tighten the plug to 45 N·m (33 lb ft).

17. When the procedure is completed, wipe any fluid from the transaxle case with a rag or a shop towel. Verify that the fluid fill cap and the vent tube are properly installed.

Fluid Level Set After Service

1. Add transaxle fluid through the fill cap hole prior to adjusting the fluid level. The amount of fluid to add should be based on the type of service done.
  2. Inspect the transaxle fluid level using the procedure above.
  3. Add additional fluid through the fill cap hole in 0.5L (0.5 qt) increments until the fluid comes out through the plug hole.
  4. Allow the fluid to finish draining out through the plug hole. Install the fluid level plug.
  5. When the procedure is completed, wipe any fluid from the transaxle case with a rag or a shop towel. Verify that the fluid fill cap and the vent tube are properly installed.

This second is the Aisin 81 40le and it uses

ESSO JWS 3309 or T-IV ATF GM P/N 88900925 (Canadian P/N 22689186)

Transmission Fluid Level Inspection

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

Important: Measure the fluid level when the transaxle temperature is 70°C-80°C (158°F-176°F).

Important: During the fluid level check, the selector lever must be in position P.

1. Make sure the vehicle is level.
  2. Shift into all range from P to 1 and return to P with engine idling.
  3. Remove the transaxle fluid dipstick and check the transaxle fluid level.

4. Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

Important: The correct fluid level must be between the HOT MIN (2) and the HOT MAX (1) notches on the dipstick.

5. If the fluid level is below the MIN notch, add transaxle fluid through the fluid filler tube and check for leaks in the transaxle.
  6. If the fluid above the MAX notch, the transaxle is overfilled. Drain some of the fluid through the fluid pan drain plug. Check the transaxle fluid level
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the info. It is the first tranny. Instructions indicate to use DT46475 to remove filler plug. However, i have tried first a 3/8 drive and 1/4 drive ratchet . None works. Is this a special tool I have to buy?
Yes, I just measures the tool and it is 8.45mm or .333" so you will need to get a square socket or a chunk of square stock to make one.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry for the delay. I had to purchase a 11 pce. plug socket set made by Sunex. I t uses a 5/16" plug socket.

Do you know if the fluid level is checked with the engine running?

Also, I asked before-Is Dexron vI tranny fluid compatible? The GM dealer sold it to me.My transmission is the first transmission mentioned (without the dipstick).

No, dexron is not compatible with these transmissions or it would have been listed. Fluid is checked with the engine running and the transmission warmed up.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Is there a separate hole for adding fluid and another for draining fluid?

The drain is removing the pan on automatic transmissions.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am not questioning you, but i noticeed on the first diagram and also on Step #10 counting 4 bolts to the right there is a similar type plug as the refill plug. This, when i loosened it ,fluid was draining out.Please respond. Also, should fluid level be checked on a level surface.?

OK, I have to agree, that does look like a drain plug, and upon further looking that is a drain plug. Very odd, not typical of GM transmissions, but then this is a Daewoo product that GM has stuck its name on. Also these have not given any trouble so I have not had to service any.

As for fluid checking, all fluid are to be checked hot and level, and in this case, engine running.

GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

So far, out of all the experts I have spoken to, you have been the most prompt in replying to my questions. This says a lot about you and your caring attitude.

Furthermore, this is resounded in the fact that you have achieved both the "Customer's choice Award" and "Expert of the Month Award.

Do I ask for "GM Tech" in future? Your help was greatly appreciated.

Thank you. I strive for customer satisfaction. To get me in the future, simply state in the first line "For Blue Gorilla" and I will get it. There are a few guys here that have the screen name Gmtech.