Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master, L1, 32 years, Diagnostic / Electrical Specialist

how would i take out the ignition switch without the key to

how would i take out the ignition switch without the key to relace the switch
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
Hello, are you replacing the ignition switch OR the lock tumbler that key goes into?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i have a new switch to put back into to the car but can not get the old one out the person with the car lost the keys to ignition
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
Sorry you must have misunderstood. Are you replacing the lock tumbler OR ignition switch? the ignition switch is seperate from the part the key goes into. Is the part you need to change the part where key goes in?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes where the key gose into to the collume is what i am trying to replace has the gear on the back of it i already have the part to replace it with but can not get the old one out and do not have the key to the old one

Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
How far have you got? or have you not started the job yet?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i have looked at the spot where ythe key goses and pulled the cover off the old one but have not gotten any futher then that so far
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.

Thanks. I need to be bery honest, this is a tricky job and requires 3 special tools to do the job. The steering wheel needs to come of, then a special tool used to undo the lock plate, then the turnsignal switch has to come out and if tilt wheel, even more parts to include bearings.

This is all so you can get down to one small bolt that hold the lock tumber into the column. You do NOT need a key to remove the old one. just a lot of work and special tools. I recommend a shop but /// here are directions

1. Disconnect battery ground cable.
  2. Remove steering column from vehicle. On vehicles with tilt column, column should be tilted to the full up position for removal.
  3. Remove and discard two lower spring retainers.
  4. Remove lower bearing spring and lower bearing seat.
  5. Remove nut retainer and jam nut, then the steering wheel.
  6. Remove cancel cam assembly, then the hazard knob screw and hazard warning knob.
  7. Position turn signal switch so that turn signal switch screws and housing screw can be removed through opening in switch.
  8. Remove housing screw and column housing cover, then the turn signal switch screws.
  9. Remove wiring protector from opening in instrument panel bracket on jacket assembly and separate from wires.
  10. Disconnect pivot/pulse switch connector then remove the pivot screw and pivot/pulse switch assembly.
  11. Disconnect turn signal switch connector from ignition and dimmer switch assembly connector.
  12. Disconnect 17 way secondary lock from turn signal connector.
  13. Using terminal remover tool No. J-35689-A or equivalent, disconnect wires on buzzer switch from turn signal connector and wrap wire ends with tape.
  14. Remove turn signal switch assembly from column.
  15. Remove and discard two lower spring retainers.
  16. Remove lower bearing spring and seat.
  17. Remove adapter screws then the adapter and bearing assembly.
  18. On models with tilt columns, proceed as follows:
    1. Insert Phillips head screwdriver into square opening in spring retainer, push down and turn left to release retainer and wheel tilt spring.
    2. Remove spring retainer, tilt spring and tilt spring guide.
    3. Using pivot pin remover tool No. J-21854-01 or equivalent, remove two pivot pins.
  1. On all models, place lock cylinder in Run position.
  2. On models with tilt column, pull tilt lever to release steering column housing. Remove the steering shaft assembly and steering column housing as a complete unit.
  3. On non-tilt models, proceed as follows:
    1. Place opening in retaining ring over flat on steering shaft.
    2. Remove retaining ring using a suitable screwdriver.
    3. Remove thrust washer, upper bearing spring and washer.
    4. Remove steering shaft from lower end of jacket and bowl assembly.
    5. Remove housing screws and steering column housing.
    6. Remove housing spacer the the bearing using a suitable drift. Discard bearing.
  1. On all models, place lock cylinder in Off-Lock position and remove key.
  2. Remove buzzer switch by lifting switch tab with screwdriver and pulling gently on wires.
  3. Remove lock retaining screw and the lock cylinder.
  4. Reverse procedure to install, noting the following:
    1. Torque lock retaining screw to 22 inch lbs.
    2. Torque steering column housing screws to 88 inch lbs.
    3. Torque turn signal switch and column housing cover screws to 35 inch lbs.
    4. Torque hazard knob screw to 7 inch lbs.
    5. Torque jam nut to 30 ft. lbs.
    6. Install new lower spring retainers, compressing spring until retainers are positioned 1.14 inch from lower end of steering shaft.

Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience: ASE Master, L1, 32 years, Diagnostic / Electrical Specialist