Steve
Steve, Service Manager
Experience:  25+ Years experience as a professional working automotive technician; ASE L1 master technician
157173

how to replace intake manifold gasket on 2001 chevy blazer

how to replace intake manifold gasket on 2001 chevy blazer 4.3L 4x4
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Steve replied 4 years ago.

Hello!

On this model, the upper intake manifold (plenum) can stay connected to the lower intake manifold to do this repair, so you don't have to remove the upper section. Also, something to keep in mind is that when you remove the push rods there are 2 different lengths; if you get the wrong ones in the wrong places the engien will not start so you will want to lay them out in order so they can go back into the same lifters that they came out of.

Here is the replacement procedure for the intake manifold gasket:

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Disconnect the breather tube at the air cleaner outlet duct.

Remove the air cleaner outlet duct retaining wingnut

Disconnect the IAT sensor harness connector

• Remove the air cleaner outlet duct from the throttle body.
  • Disconnect the accelerator cable from the throttle body.
  • Remove the accelerator cable from the accelerator control cable bracket.
  • Disconnect the cruise control cable, if equipped, from the throttle shaft and the accelerator cable bracket
  • Disconnect the vacuum hose from the intake manifold, if equipped with A/C.

Disconnect the power brake booster vacuum hose

• Drain the coolant. Remove the radiator inlet hose at the water outlet. Remove the heater hose from the intake manifold.

Remove the water pump inlet hose from the intake manifold.

• Disconnect the following electrical connectors:

• The fuel meter body assembly
        • The EVAP canister purge solenoid valve
        • The Manifold Air Pressure (MAP) sensor
            • The Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve (3)
            • The ignition coil (2)
            • The Ignition Control Module (ICM) (1)
            • The generator (4)
        1. Disconnect the following electrical connectors:
          • The Idle Air Control (IAC) motor (3)
          • The Throttle Position (TP) sensor (2)
          • The A/C compressor cutoff switch, if equipped (5)
          • The A/C clutch switch, if equipped (1)
          • The Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor(4)
        1. Remove the engine wiring harness clips from the brackets.
        2. Move the engine wiring harness aside.
      • Remove the accelerator cable bracket from the throttle body and the intake manifold
      • Remove the accelerator and the cruise control cable bracket from the throttle bracket. Leave the accelerator and cruise control cables on the bracket

Disconnect the PCV hose assembly from the intake manifold and the valve rocker arm cover.

• Remove the EVAP canister purge solenoid valve.Remove the spark plug wire harness retainer from the EGRvalve inlet pipe.
    1. Remove the clamp bolt for the EGR valve inlet pipe.

Remove the EGR valve inlet pipe from the intake and the exhaust manifold

Remove the distributor

2. Disconnect the fuel supply and return pipes at the rear of the intake manifold.
    3. Perform the following in order to remove the left front bolt for the intake manifold:

Remove the serpentine

Loosen the nut for the power steering pump rear bracket at the side of the engine

Remove the Secondary Air Injection (AIR) reactor pipe bracket nut from the power steering pump rear bracket front stud, if equipped.

Remove the nut for the power steering pump rear bracket at the front of the engine.

Remove the bolts and the nut for the power steering pump mounting bracket

Slide the power steering pump bracket forward to access the bolt at the front of the intake manifold.

• Remove the Engine Coolant Temperature sensor wire connector from the engine wiring harness bracket.
  • Remove the lower intake manifold bolts
  • Remove the intake manifold assembly
  •  

Installation is the same process in reverse. When installing the intake manifold to the engine, tighten the bolts in sequence starting from the center of the manifold and working outward to the ends. Tighten them in 3 passes; first to 27 inch/ lbs, next pass to 106 inch/lbs, and the final pass tighten them to 11 ft/lbs. This is extremely critical; too loose and it will leak, too tight and the gasket will be damaged.

Steve, Service Manager
    Experience: 25+ Years experience as a professional working automotive technician; ASE L1 master technician