Mike, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  19yrs Automotive and Bus experience. Owner/Operator/Tech of Auto repair facility
12094419

why doesnt my 2006 chevy cobalt have a dip stick for the transmission

why doesnt my 2006 chevy cobalt have a dip stick for the transmission fluid and how do i fill it or check it i poked a hole in the pan and can replace the pan myself but entirely sure about the fluid
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Mike replied 7 years ago.
To check the fluid in the trans, there is a 11mm headed plug near where the passanger side axle goes into the transmission. What you do is, after you replace the pan, put 7 qts of transmission fluid in the fill cap on the top of the transmission. Start the car, warm it up and run it through the gears several times. Then remove that 11mm headed plug while the engine is running with the transmission is in park. If fluid runs out of the plug, allow it to drain until it becomes a constant drip. Put the plug back in and you are done. If fluid did not come outb of the whole, start adding fluid to the trans until it starts to drip, then reinstall the plug. They usually hold around 7 Quarts.