Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

2002 Chevy Tahoe: Engine cranks..wont start..stay running..gas pedal

My 2002 Chevy Tahoe is having intermittent problems with starting. Engine cranks but won't start. Takes multiple attempts to start and when it does fire it does stay running unless I start to lightly feather in gas by depressing the gas pedal (I know this is not recommended.) The engine will run poorly and then idle down below 500 RPM's amost to the point of stalling.

In the last 6 months I have replaced fuel filter, air filter, fuel pump, battery. there are no DTC's in the computer. it is a 4.8L V-8.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 6 years ago.

A couple of things to check.

1. check the fuel pressure regulator for leakage. Remove the vacuum hose from the fuel pressure regulator and check for the presence of fuel. If there is fuel present at the vacuum hose, replace the regulator.

2. clean the throttle body. The throttle body will become coked up with carbon and not allow sufficient airflow at closed throttle. This will cause hard starts, low idle speed and stalling. Remove the air intake tube and clean the throttle blade and throttle bore with carburetor cleaner spray.

The fuel pressure regulator looks like the image below and is in the fuel injector rail on the drivers side of the engine.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I just checked it and no gas is leaking by into the vaccum line.

The last occurence was yesterday our first day back from a 9 day vacation. the car sat for the whole time. Could I be losing pressure in the fuel rail over time?

Other occurences are more troublesome. Stopping at a store for ten minutes, trying to restart and it won't.

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 6 years ago.
Loss of fuel pressure is a possibility. I would clean the throttle body first as this is the most likely cause, then proceed to checking other things like fuel pressure.