GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

How do you remove the fuel line from the fuel pressure regulator

How do you remove the fuel line from the fuel pressure regulator on an 04 impala? Do you need to remove the plenum to get to the nut that holds it on?
Welcome. Are you replacing the reguulator or taking the line off?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I'm replacing the regulator -- It's leaking from the top of the old regulator. Vacuum line comes off fine, torx screw PITA but I can get to it. Fuel line nut is not turnable (trying to turn it with the wrench moving right to left facing the front of the car. Matches what should be the right direction on the new regulator

OK, take the outer retainer off, then remove the snap ring and pull the assembly out. Watch the o-rings and where they go. there are no screws to remove for this repair.

Fuel Pressure Regulator Replacement

Removal Procedure

Important: Always maintain cleanliness when servicing fuel system components.

Object Number: 155470  Size: SH

1. Relieve the fuel pressure.
  2. Clean any dirt from the fuel pressure regulator retaining ring.
  3. Remove the vacuum line from the pressure regulator.

4. Object Number: 12396  Size: SH

5. Remove the snap ring (7).
  6. Using a shop towel to catch any spilled fuel, lift and twist the fuel pressure regulator in order to remove the fuel pressure regulator (6) from the fuel pressure regulator housing (1).
  7. Remove the regulator small O-ring (2).
  8. Remove the regulator filter screen (3).
  9. Remove the regulator large O-ring (4).
  10. Remove the regulator O-ring back up (5).
  11. Cover the fuel pressure regulator housing (1) to prevent contamination from entering the fuel system.

Installation Procedure

Notice:

Do not use compressed air in order to test or clean a fuel pressure regulator as damage to the fuel pressure regulator may result.
Clean the fuel pressure regulator filter screen with gasoline if necessary.
Do not immerse the fuel pressure regulator in a solvent bath in order to prevent damage to the fuel pressure regulator.

Object Number: 12396  Size: SH

1. Install the new O-rings on the fuel pressure regulator (6). Lubricate the O-rings lightly with clean engine oil.
  2. Install the regulator O-ring back up (5).
  3. Install the regulator large O-ring (4).
  4. Install the regulator filter screen (3).
  5. Install the regulator small O-ring (2).
  6. Install the fuel pressure regulator (6) in the fuel pressure regulator housing (1).
  7. Install the snap ring (7).

8. Object Number: 155470  Size: SH

9. Connect the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
(I'm also quite a novice when it comes to car repairs...)

Not sure what's meant by snap ring - This is what I was following to start with - http://www.justanswer.com/questions/zu0o-install-fuel-pressure-regulator - that diagram matches what I'm looking at on my 04 impala

There's an o-ring on the new regulator already - are there more than that?

(I'm also quite a novice when it comes to
Forgive me, I missed the engine size. Those are correct and you do need to remove that torx bolt, are you using a screw driver or a torx socket? This will be tough to get off.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I was able to loosen the torx screw (tried an allen wrench to start with and half stripped it- but I can get that out.) The large nut on the bottom of the regulator is the one I can't get at. Special offset wrench needed? Or does the plenum need removed to get enough room to maneuver a wrench?
There is nothing special to take that off. Many of the guys that replace the intake gaskets take that fitting off.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So, you would recommend taking that upper plenum off to make the regulator change easier? (I think I saw it was all of 6 or 8 bolts and a couple of vacuum lines to move)

If you do not have the room then it may be needed. YEs there is 6 bolts, 2 more under the throttle body, the EGR tube and the ignition module.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok - Thanks... Should be a few more "hours" or cursing the car and the engineers that designed them tomorrow... Came real close to breaking a fuel injector trying to get at that nut! Might try to find an offset wrench that fits - might help too...