Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master, L1, 32 years, Diagnostic / Electrical Specialist
13677702

How to replace rear dif on 1998 chevy silverado

how to replace rear dif on 1998 chevy silverado
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.

Hello, what size is your tryck and is it 4x4?

Also, are you removing the entire rear differential or just the insides?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am removing just the insides
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
I still need to know the size/series of the truck and if 4x4.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
4x4,1500
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I Have a Chevy silverado 1500 series,4x4
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
Ok, I am back, Sorry for delay. Online problems. let me see what info i can gather for you. Back shortly
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
Ok, there are many categories for me to select from to do differentila repairs. I can not send all data as files too large. can you help me narrow down what you are doing and what details info you may need so I can send. LMk thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
WHAT INFO DO YOU NEED,i THINK I JUST WANT TO REPLACE PARTS IN MT DIF
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
I guess I need to know what parts are you doing the ring gear, bearings, spiders, pinion etc what is the problem you are having with the rear.?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I WANT TO REBUILD THE UNIT REPLACE ALL PARTS AS NEEDED I DON'T KNOW THE NAME OF THE PARTS BUT I FOLLOW INSTRUCTIONS VERY WELL! iWILL BE PUTTING IN ALL NEW PARTS.THANKS
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.

Below is disassemble. be advised, this job requires special tools. I can only suggest possibly some help with this or possible reman or used unit? I am not saying you can not do the job but... without the tools etc, you will be unable to 100% do the job correctly

Assemble coming in next post

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

-Tools Required
  • J8107-2 Side Bearing Puller Plug
  • J8614-01 Pinion Flange Holder
  • J24385-01 Differential Housing Spreader
  • J29721 Differential Side Bearing Remover
  • J29721-70 Side Bearing Adapters
  • J39330 Bearing Race Remover
  • J39331 Outer Bearing Race Remover
  • J39704 Dial Indicator
  • J39709 Universal Handle
  1. Place the axle in a suitable support.
  2. Remove the bolts from the cover and the cover. This will drain the oil.
  3. Pull the axle shafts out of the axle housing to the point where the axle shafts are clear of the differential case.
  4. Remove the bearing cap bolts.
  5. Remove the bearing caps. IMPORTANT: Corresponding letters are stamped on the bearing caps and axle housing. The bearing caps must be reassembled exactly as removed.

1. Assemble the J24385-01 to the differential housing.
  2. Assemble the J39704. NOTICE: You may use the older style gage set if you already have them. The new style gages use the bearings as part of the gage system, while the older style uses a master block that acts as a master bearing.
  3. Preset the gage to a minimum of 5 mm (0.200 inch) . Rotate the indicator housing to zero on the dial.
  4. Spread the housing while examining the J39704. NOTICE: Do not spread the axle housing more than 0.38 mm (0.015 inch) . Overspreading the housing may result in component damage.

1. Remove the case from the housing using two pry bars.
  2. Remove the J24385-01 from the housing.
  3. Remove the bearing caps. IMPORTANT: Mark the bearing cups left and right and place each bearing cup with the corresponding proper bearing cap.

1. Remove the bearings using the J8107-2 J29721 and J29721-70 IMPORTANT: Mark the bearings left and right and place each bearings with the corresponding set of bearing cap and cup.
  2. Remove the shims. IMPORTANT: Mark the shims left or right.
  3. Check the outboard spacers for damage such as bends or deep groves caused by worn bearings. Replace any damaged spacers at the time of assembly.
  4. Place towels over the jaws of the vice. Place the differential case in the vice
  5. Remove the ring gear bolts. Discard the ring gear bolts. IMPORTANT: Replace the ring gear bolts with new ones at the time of assembly.

1. Remove the lock pin screw. NOTICE: Do not pry the ring gear from the case. This will damage the ring gear and differential case.

1. Remove the pinion shaft using a hammer and brass drift.

1. Rotate the side gears until the pinion gears are in the opening of the case. Remove the pinion gears and thrust washers.
  2. Remove the side gears and thrust washers. IMPORTANT: Mark the side gears and thrust washers left and right
  3. Replace the cover using two bolts in order to keep the pinion from falling.

1. Measure the drive pinion rotating torque. Record the measurement.
  2. Check for looseness of the pinion assembly by moving the assembly back and forth. Looseness indicates excessive bearing or pinion wear.

1. Remove the pinion nut and washer using the J8614-01 in order to hold the pinion.

1. Remove the pinion flange using the J8614-01.
  2. Use a soft-faced hammer to tap the pinion in order to remove the pinion from the pinion bore.
  3. Remove the cover and the pinion from the vehicle.
  4. Remove the pinion preload shims. IMPORTANT: Keep the shims together
  5. Remove the pinion seal.
  6. Remove the outer bearing and oil slinger.
  7. Remove the pinion outer bearing cups from the axle using J39330.
  8. Remove the pinion outer adjusting shims and baffle, if used. IMPORTANT: Keep the shims together.
  9. Remove the pinion inner bearing cup using the J3933 1.
  10. Remove the pinion outer adjusting shims and baffle, if used. IMPORTANT: Keep the shims together

1. Remove the pinion inner bearing using the J29721 and the J29721-70.

Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
Tools Required
  1. Lubricate all parts with an axle lubricant.
  2. Install new thrust washers to the side gears.
  3. Install the side gears to the differential case. IMPORTANT: Install the side gears to the same side that the side gears were on when removed.
  4. Install the pinion gears to the differential without the thrust washers.
4.1.Install the pinion gears to the side gears so that the holes in the pinion gears are 180 degrees apart.
4.2.Rotate the pinion gears into place. Verify that the pinion gears line up with the pinion shaft holes.
  1. Rotate the pinion gears toward the differential opening in order to allow enough space for the pinion thrust washers to slide in.

1. Install the pinion shaft.
  2. Align the roll pin holes in the differential case and the pinion shaft.
  3. Install the roll pin.
8.1.Peen metal from the case over the lock pin in two places that are 180 degrees apart.
8.2.Make sure the mating surfaces of the differential case and the ring gear are clean and free of burrs.
  1. Align the holes in the differential case and the holes in the ring gear. Press the ring gear onto the case.
  2. Install new ring gear bolts.
    • Tighten the ring gear bolts in sequence to 298 Nm (220 ft. lbs.) .

IMPORTANT: Tighten the ring gear bolt in stages in order to gradually pull the ring gear onto the differential case.

NOTICE: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

1. Install the J39705 to the differential.
    • Refer to Determining Total Shim Pack Size.
    • Put the outboard spacers in place, if outboard spacers are used.

Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience: ASE Master, L1, 32 years, Diagnostic / Electrical Specialist