BOBBYSS
BOBBYSS, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

2002 chevy malibu: 3.1 l v6 it purges coolant..water pump..bleed

we have a 2002 chevy malibu 3.1 l v6

it purges coolant out of coolant tank, most of the time.

we have change t / stat & had water pump of, found no problem with pump

have bleed system countless times. seems like it doesn't build pressure & it gets to operating temp & purges coolant
HelloCustomer how hot does the gauge get before the coolant purges out?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
normal temp on the gauge
Okay. If the coolant is overflowing without the temperature getting hot then you have too much pressure build up in the system. If the system is working properly and this is happening then you more than likely have a bad headgasket. If the headgasket is leaking it can cause combustion pressure to enter the cooling system and cause this.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

sorry we have performed chemical test on rad ...testing for exh fumes & it comes up negative

Have you installed a pressure tester to the cooling system to see what the pressure gets up to when the engine is running.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
we have a new snap on tester set & it will not seal in tank due to the hole for the overflow hose to the ground...we can pump up pressure if pinch off the overflow hose . the unit acts like it is not building pressure...therfore purging at low temps
The only item that would let the coolant overfloe would be the cap if it was not holding pressure. This would also happen if the reservoir was warped and not sealing.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
we have replaced cap with a napa cap & i got a reservoir here ...but see no diff from old to new....has there been a warping problem with the reservoirs ?????
I have seen there reservoirs warp at the neck. If they do then they will not seal and hold pressure at the cap.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
we have attached cao to new reservoir & we can not blow back by the rad cap like we can on the old 1.......so i think it is the tank .....i will have my tech change it out & then let you know & then accecpt the bill.......thanx 4 your hel we will be back
Let me know what happens. If there is still a problem we can go from there.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

that was it the coolant tank warped.....thanx

denis

No problem. Let me know if you need anything else.