carguyjosh
carguyjosh, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified , 16 yrs in field
12326834

I have a 1989 Chevy S10 Blazer with an electronic dash that

I have a 1989 Chevy S10 Blazer with an electronic dash that has gone blank. I haven't been able to find information on how to remove the circuit board for repair. I have the Chilton book but it doesn't show that display. I would appreciate any instructions you are able to provide, and photos would be especially helpful!

Are you just looking for information on how to remove the instrument cluster?

Are you sending it out for repair?

Please let me know....Thanks, Carguyjosh

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I've had part of the dash apart before to replace the light switch. I'ld like more detail on how to get to the cluster. I'm an old computer electronics tech., back when we actually did bench repair on the mother boards, and I thought I would check the solder connections. I'd heard that lose connections are a common problem with these. If that's not it and if you don't have any other suggestions on where to look, than I'll need to start looking for a replacement part. Or, do you know of a repair shop that works on these? I hear a new cluster can run $900.00.

Ok, its been awhile since I have had to pull one of these clusters but if memory serves you need to remove the headlight trim cover and the headlight switch, pull the heater controls out of the dash and then remove the screws that hold the trim over the cluster.

Then unbolt the cluster and pull it back far enough to unplug the wiring and the speedometer.....

One chech that I would like you to do while you have the cluster out is with a volt meter, Key in the run position, check between pin #A15 to B7 for battery voltage. If battery voltage is present, the cluster is a fault..

graphic

Now as far as places that repair them, anymore I don't know of any repair centers. Your best bet if you can't get it going is to find a cluster in a salvage yard. But hopefully you'll find the solution once you open it up...

Please let me know what you find....

Thanks, Josh