GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.

My 2008 Chevy Tahoes radio and dash lights will not turn off

My 2008 Chevy Tahoe's radio and dash lights will not turn off when i turn the car off and open the door like they are supposed to. I suspect this is either a door switch issue or a RAP module issue. The system eventually turns off after the 10 minute battery save mode kicks in, but it should turn off once I open the door. How do i diagnose this problem and how do i fix it?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thank you for asking your question. I look forward to helping you fix your vehicle.

I will try my best to help you and in order to do that, I need you to describe the issue in as much detail because I only know as much about your vehicle as you have told me in your post, so my answer will be based on what you have posted. Please include all the small details that may seem insignificant such as warning light or noises.

My goal is your satisfaction and I ask that you not accept unless you are satisfied, but if you are satisfied, please accept so I can receive credit for my work and time. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and bonuses are always welcomed.

Please feel free to reply as needed.

Did this just start happening? Have you recently done any repairs?

Does the radio stay on as well?

Does the dome light stay on or just those back lights?

Do the park lights also stay on?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i just bought the truck a few days ago and it has been the case since i bought it. The radio stays on putting sound through the speakers and the dash lights are on for 10 minutes. the dome light and park lights turn off after about 30 seconds.

OK, this is sounding like a BCM. I have seen some of these fail. What I would do is watch the back lighting data in the Radio and BCM to see. Also check the headlight switch status to be sure. Either way with the electronics of this system you will need a scan tool.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok. i'm not sure if this helps you narrow it down or not, but i forgot to mention that after the truck is turned off and any door is open, none of the windows work.

on a side note, there is a whirring/buzzing sound coming from the nav/dvd dash area. it sounds like a computer trying to read a disk or a small motor spinning. i have read elsewhere that this is somwhat normal for the nav system to make this noise as it is checking a disk for the map data, but i figured i'd run it by you while i have you online.

The windows are not supposed to work after the key is off and any door open. This tells me the RAP is working fine. The noise in the DVD may be a clue. It could be a fault in the radio that is feeding back through the cluster.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yeah, i knew that about the windows. good to hear about the RAP. i'll have my garage check it out, but you're still thinking its the BCM?
Until we can get other info to refute it, yes. I am thinking BCM or Radio.
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok, thanks for your time