GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

The dashboard lighting on 2004 Chevy Suburban(not gear indicator

The dashboard lighting on 2004 Chevy Suburban(not gear indicator or odometer) does not function at all. The owner's manual is not clear which fuse to check -- could you clarify this. If it is not a fuse, what else can I check?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thank you for asking your question. I look forward to helping you fix your vehicle.

I will try my best to help you and in order to do that, I need you to describe the issue in as much detail because I only know as much about your vehicle as you have told me in your post, so my answer will be based on what you have posted. Please include all the small details that may seem insignificant such as warning light or noises.

My goal is your satisfaction and I ask that you not accept unless you are satisfied, but if you are satisfied, please accept so I can receive credit for my work and time. Positive Feedback is greatly appreciated and bonuses are always welcomed.

Please feel free to reply as needed.

Do all the other lights work?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The interior lights work including using the thumb wheel to make them come on with the doors closed. All the other electrical features/lighting work correctly, too. 1/2 the background lighting for the radio works, the other half does not -- this existed prior to the main dash lighting going out. I could not get the fuses to pull from their slot - couldn't get a good grip and don't have a fuse puller. The fuses I looked at were IGN E and IPC/DIC, but I'm not sure these are the one(s) tied to the dash illumination. From what I could see, the fuse links looked intact....
OK, please let me be more specific. Are any of the back ground lights in the cluster working? Is it only the odometer and PRND21 that is out?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
None of the background lights for the gauges is working. The gauges work correctly, just not the illumination. The warning lights come on briefly during startup as expected, no warnings lights while driving. The odometer and gear shift indication work/illuminate correctly.
OK, one more question, does the odometer go dark when you turn the lights on?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The odometer and all other gauges (temps, pressure, fuel level, voltage) are continually dark -- they never come on at all, even when the headlights are on/turned on and when the interior lights are turned on.

OK, that makes this clear. This is not a fuse issue, rather it is either a wiring issue, a bulb issue or the instrument panel cluster. Do you have a test light? If so, take the cluster out and test the red wire in A11 for power with the lights on and see if it changes when you turn the wheel.

Object Number: 73156  Size: CH