GM_MASTER_DENNY
GM_MASTER_DENNY, GM and ASE Master Tech/Shop Foreman
Experience:  Over 15 years experience in automotive repair. GM Mark Of Excellence Winner for several years.
14081360

Im getting fuel in my oil on my 2001 duramax diesel , ive..vacum

im getting fuel in my oil on my 2001 duramax diesel , ive replaced all the return lin washers and it seem the problem persist is there any way to pressure or vacum test my return sytem
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM_MASTER_DENNY replied 4 years ago.

Fuel in the oil is usually caused from leaking fuel injectors. There is a special warranty extension on the injectors.

Subject:04039B - Special Policy Adjustment - Injector - Replace

Models:2001-2004 Chevrolet Silverado
2001-2004 GMC Sierra
2003-2004 Chevrolet Kodiak
2003-2004 GMC TopKick
Equipped with 6.6L Duramax Diesel (RPO LB7 - VIN Code 1) Engine

THIS BULLETIN IS BEING REVISED TO ADD 2004 MODEL YEAR TRUCKS. PLEASE DISCARD SPECIAL POLICY BULLETIN NUMBER 04039A, DATED OCTOBER, 2006.

Condition

Some customers of 2001-04 model year Chevrolet Silverado; GMC Sierra; 2003-04 Chevrolet Kodiak and GMC TopKick vehicles, equipped with a 6.6L Duramax Diesel (RPO LB7 - VIN Code 1) engine, may experience vehicle service engine soon (SES) light illumination, low engine power, hard start, and/or fuel in crankcase, requiring injector replacement, as a result of high fuel return rates due to fuel injector body cracks, ball seat erosion, or high pressure seal extrusion (refer to Corporate Bulletin Number 04-06-04-007G and SI).

Special Policy Adjustment

This special policy covers the condition described above for a period of 7 years or 200,000 miles (320,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.

Important: This special policy only covers the above noted failure modes, which are identified by high fuel return flow.

For 2001-2002 vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after May 25, 2004, are covered by this special policy and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to May 25, 2004 must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

For 2003 vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after October 10, 2006 are covered by this special policy and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to October 10, 2006 must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

For 2004 vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after November 19, 2007 are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to November 19, 2007 must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

Vehicles Involved

Involved are all 2001-04 model year Chevrolet Silverado, GMC Sierra; 2003-2004 Chevrolet Kodiak and GMC TopKick vehicles equipped with a 6.6L Duramax Diesel (RPO LB7 - VIN Code 1) engine and built within the following start of production to end of production VIN breakpoints:

Year

Division

Model

From

Through

2001

Chevrolet

Silverado

1E100028

1E346644

1F100001

1F213872

1Z100015

1Z100019

2001

GMC

Sierra

1E100021

1E346642

1F100010

1F213864

2002

Chevrolet

Silverado

2E100009

2E306435

2F100004

2F247804

2002

GMC

Sierra

2E100003

2E306345

2F100011

2F247974

2003

Chevrolet

Silverado

3E100002

3E381007

3F100003

3F259043

2003

Chevrolet

Kodiak

3F500015

3F522532

2003

GMC

Sierra

3E100003

3E381124

3F100008

3F259040

2003

GMC

TopKick

3F500001

3F900945

2004

Chevrolet

Silverado

4E100018

4E221395

4F100004

4F174846

2004

Chevrolet

Kodiak

4F500118

4F510079

2004

GMC

Sierra

4E100002

4E223355

4F100008

4F174834

2004

GMC

TopKick

4F100126

4F510077

Parts Information

Parts required to complete this special policy are to be obtained from General Motors Service Parts Operations (GMSPO).

Part Number

Description

Qty/ Vehicle

97729095*

Injector Kit, Dir Fuel (Incls: Injector, Gasket, Seal)

8

97188896

Gasket, Valve Rocker Arm Cover (Reusable Gasket)

As Req'd

97228933

Gasket, F/Injr Fuel Return Pipe

8

97600925

Gasket, F/Injr Fuel Return Pipe

2

94011604

Seal, Water Outlet

1

12378521 (US)

88901148 (CN)

Sealant

As Req'd

97188463

Housing, F/Injr Noz

As Req'd

94051259

Seal, F/Injr Noz Hsg (O-Ring)

As Req'd

*P/N 97729095 is only available in a merchandising pack quantity of 4. Current order restriction limits availability to 8 injectors per VIN.

Customer Notification

Customers will be notified of the special policy on their vehicles by General Motors (see copy of typical customer letter included with this bulletin -- actual divisional letter may vary slightly).

Service Procedure

Refer to the latest version of Corporate Bulletin Number 04-06-04-007G and Service Information to perform diagnostics and fuel injector replacement for high fuel return rates.

Subject:Service Engine Soon (SES) Light On, DTCs P0087, P0093, P1093, Low Power, No Start, Hard Start, Fuel in Crankcase (Replace All Injectors -- New Strategy for High Fuel Return Rates)

Models:2001-2004 Chevrolet Silverado
2003-2004 Chevrolet Kodiak C4500/C5500 Series
2001-2004 GMC Sierra
2003-2004 GMC TopKick C4500/C5500 Series
with 6.6L DuramaxTM Diesel Engine (VIN 1 -- RPO LB7)

This bulletin is being revised to advise technicians that 2001-2004 model year vehicles may be covered by Special Policy 04039. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 04-06-04-007H (Section 06 -- Engine/Propulsion System).

Condition

Some customers may comment on the Service Engine Soon light becoming illuminated. Upon investigation, the technician may find DTCs P0087, P0093 or P1093. Additional customer comments may include a lack of power, a fuel smell on the oil indicator (dipstick), fuel in the engine oil, fuel coming out of the crankcase breather, the engine cranks but does not run, or a hard start condition. This condition will not cause an engine misfire. Do not apply this bulletin to any diagnostic other than what is identified in the chart below.

Cause

The fuel injectors have internal conditions that may cause them to return an excessive quantity of fuel to the tank, as well as leak fuel into the crankcase. Due to the excessive return flow and/or leakage, the fuel injection pump may not be able to build up adequate fuel rail pressure.

Correction

Important: Before the technician begins diagnostics and repair, be sure to follow the guidelines in Corporate Service Bulletin Number 03-06-04-036A to avoid fuel system contamination.

Important: If the technician commands the fuel rail pressure with Tech 2® to 160 MPa at idle and it reaches at least 158 MPa, then this bulletin does not apply. The technician should then follow normal SI diagnostics. If the rail pressure does not reach 158 MPa, snapshot the data, then follow the diagnostics in this bulletin.

Reference the table below in order to follow current diagnostics for the condition that the vehicle is experiencing. If the diagnostics lead to Fuel System Diagnosis - High Pressure Side, follow the diagnostic until the Fuel Injector Return Flow is measured at each cylinder bank return connection (bank to bank).

Condition

Start with this SI Diagnostic in the Diagnostic Information and Procedures sub-section of the Engine Controls Section

Delayed Start

Hard Start

Lack of Power

Lack of Power, Sluggishness or Sponginess

Engine Cranks but Does Not Run

Engine Cranks but Does Not Run

Fuel in Oil or Fuel leak out of breather

Fuel In Engine Oil in Engine Mechanical

DTC P0087

DTC P0087

DTC P0093

DTC P0093

DTC P1093

DTC P1093

Important: If the SES light is illuminated, follow diagnostics for the DTC as indicated with the Tech 2®.

Important: When installing the new fuel injectors, lubricate the inside of the fuel injector sleeve with clean engine oil prior to installing the injector. Do not lubricate the injector or O-ring seal prior to installation.

Injector sleeves only need to be replaced if there is damage to the tapered sealing surface where it seals against the cylinder head. If an injector sleeve becomes loose or dislodged when replacing injectors, inspect the cylinder head to sleeve mounting surfaces. If there are no witness marks from a combustion leak or coolant leak, reseal the sleeve using SI procedures for Fuel Injector Nozzle Tube Sleeve Replacement.

If fuel return flow on either the right or left cylinder bank is above the initial fuel injector bank return flow value, then replace all eight (8) fuel injectors using the Fuel Injector Replacement procedure in the Engine Controls section of SI.

Record all diagnostic data as outlined on a copy of the attached diagnostic worksheet. The diagnostic worksheet, snap shot of any DTCs, snap shot of the preliminary (actual) fuel rail pressure vs desired as commanded by the Tech 2® and a copy of the repair order with technician comments is to be returned with the removed injectors.

After replacing the injectors, perform the following steps:

1. Install all disconnected and removed components. Refer to the applicable procedures in SI.
  2. Start and idle the engine. You may have to prime the fuel system before the engine will start.
  3. Connect a scan tool.
  4. Command the fuel pressure control to 160 MPa with a scan tool.
  5. If the fuel pressure is more than 158 MPa, the system is OK.
    If the fuel pressure is unable to increase to more than 158 MPa, refer to System Diagnosis -- High Side Pressure in SI.

Fuel Leak Diagnosis (Inside of Engine)

Important:

If you were directed here from Fuel Return System Diagnosis, go directly to step 16. This will be performed with the same components disconnected as stated in that test.
If you were directed here from the Engine Cranks but Does Not Run diagnostic, go directly to step 2.

1. Test the high pressure fuel system performance.
  2. 1.1. Start and idle the engine.
    1.2. Command the fuel pressure to 160 MPa with a scan tool.
    1.3. Observe the Actual Fuel Rail Pressure parameter with a scan tool.
    - If the Actual Fuel Rail Pressure parameter is within 2 MPa of commanded pressure, continue this diagnostic.
    - If the Actual Fuel Rail Pressure parameter is not within 2 MPa of commanded pressure, go to Fuel System Diagnosis - High Pressure Side .

Object Number: 761597  Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above image.
  3. Disconnect the fuel return line (1) at the engine. Refer to Metal Collar Quick Connect Fitting Service .
  4. Remove the air duct from the air cleaner assembly to the turbo inlet.
  5. Remove the air intake pipe. Refer to Air Intake Pipe Replacement .

6. Object Number: 744233  Size: SH
  7. Remove the fuel return rubber hose of the fuel injection pump from the junction block (2). Cap the fitting on the block with a 3/8 inch rubber cap (1) to prevent fuel leakage.
  8. Install the J 23738-A Vacuum Pump at the fuel return pipe.
  9. Apply 15 inches Hg of vacuum to the pipe.
  10. If the vacuum holds, reinstall the disconnected components and go to step 23.
    If the vacuum does not hold, go to step 8.
  11. Remove the generator. Refer to Generator Replacement in Engine Electrical.

12. Object Number: 761695  Size: SH
  13. Disconnect the fuel return line (1) from the right front cylinder head.

14. Object Number: 844173  Size: SH
  15. Install a black hose (1) from the J 45873 on to the each cylinder head return port.
  16. Install the J 23738-A onto each black hose and apply 15 inches Hg of vacuum to each port and record if each side holds vacuum.
  17. Perform the lower valve cover removal procedure for the bank(s) that did not hold vacuum. Refer to Valve Rocker Arm Cover Replacement - Lower Right Side and Valve Rocker Arm Cover Replacement - Lower Left Side in Engine Mechanical. Then go to step 13.
  18. Important: When the fuel injector pressure lines are removed, debris will fall into the fuel injector inlet fitting. Vacuum the debris from the inlet fitting of the fuel injector before reconnecting fuel lines to the fuel injectors.

19. Connect the fuel return lines on both cylinder heads.
  20. Tighten
    Tighten the bolts to 15 N·m (11 lb ft).

Object Number: 820461  Size: SH
  21. Install the J 42964-1 3/8 Fuel Pipe Shutoff Valve (2) to the fuel return line (1).
  22. Install the J 35800-A Fuel Injector Cleaner on the J 42964-1 3/8 Fuel Pipe Shutoff Valve port closest to the fuel return line.
  23. Ensure that the shutoff valve is closed.
  24. Add 10 ounces of diesel fuel and 4 ounces of oil dye to the J 35800-A .
  25. Connect the shop air supply to the J 35800-A .
  26. Adjust the pressure regulator on the J 35800-A to 15 psi.
  27. Clean the fuel injectors and fuel return lines with brake cleaning solvent and let dry.
  28. Open the valve on the bottom of the J 35800-A canister.
  29. Inspect for leaks around the fuel injectors and the spill lines with aJ 28428-E High Intensity Black Light Kit. Then go to step 30.
  30. Remove both upper valve covers. Refer to Valve Rocker Arm Cover Replacement - Upper Left Side and Valve Rocker Arm Cover Replacement - Upper Right Side in Engine Mechanical 6.6L.
  31. Remove the engine oil fill tube on the front engine cover. Refer to Oil Filler Tube Replacement in Engine Mechanical.
  32. Important: When the fuel injector pressure lines are removed, debris will fall into the fuel injector inlet fitting. Vacuum the debris from the inlet fitting of the fuel injector before reconnecting fuel lines to the fuel injectors.

33. Install the fuel injector feed pipes.
  34. Tighten
    Tighten the fuel feed pipes to 44 N·m (32 lb ft).

35. Add 8 ounces of oil dye to the fuel tank. On dual tank systems add the dye to the front, or primary, tank. Refer to Fuel System Description .
  36. Important: During this test the fuel dye may quickly dilute in the engine oil. Observe the internal fuel components for dye traces immediately after startup.

37. Start the engine.
  38. Increase the fuel pressure to 160 MPa with a scan tool.
  39. Inspect for leaks around the fuel injectors and the front of the fuel injection pump with a J 28428-E . Then go to step 30.
  40. Tighten or replace any leaking components or gaskets.
  41. Perform the lower valve cover installation procedures as necessary. Refer to Valve Rocker Arm Cover Replacement - Lower Left Side and Valve Rocker Arm Cover Replacement - Lower Right Side in Engine Mechanical 6.6L.
  42. Retest the system for engine oil dilution by performing the following procedure:
  43. 32.1. Drain the engine oil from the crankcase and refill.
    32.2. Run the engine at idle for 10 minutes.
    32.3. Stop the engine and wait 10 minutes, then check the oil level on the Dip Stick. This will be the initial oil level.
    32.4. Run the engine at idle for 5 minutes while commanding the fuel pressure to 160 MPa with a scan tool.
    32.5. Stop the engine and wait 10 minutes, then check the oil level on the Dip Stick.
    - If the engine oil level is not more than 3/16 inch above the initial oil level, the system is OK.
    - If the engine oil level is more than 3/16 inch above the initial oil level, go to step 31.F.
    32.6. Run the engine at idle again for 5 minutes while commanding the fuel pressure to 160 MPa with a scan tool.
    32.7. Stop the engine and wait 10 minutes, then check the oil level on the Dip Stick.
    - If the engine oil level is not more than 3/16 inch above the last oil level, the system is OK.
    - If the engine oil level is more than 3/16 inch above the last oil level, go back to step 1.

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

graphic

None of the hyperlinks work.......

Experience: Over 15 years experience in automotive repair. GM Mark Of Excellence Winner for several years.