GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

1999 chevy malibu: spark plugs..gear, then check engine light came

Customer Question

we replaced the spark plugs and ignition coils on my 1999 chevy malibu 2.4L Twin Cam. Initally started great, then went to idling rough when placed in gear, then check engine light came on, finally engine cut out. Any idea why this would happen and how to fix ?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.

Were there any problems before you replaced the plugs & coils? Or was it just time for a tune up? Also, knowing the code that is now stored that caused the check engine light to come on will be the first step in finding what went wrong. If there is any way you can get it to a parts store they can read the code for you. Or, you could buy a code reader at the parts store and let me know what the code is. From there I can give you some answers.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It was idyling rough prior to the change, mainly when stopped at a stop sign or sitting in traffic. When accelering it recently just started skipping (within the last 7-10 days). It has 153K miles and the previous owner could not remember the last time he had it tuned up. Figured it was due. I'll check around to see if a parts store is open today (we're in a small town)to get the code information for you. Thanks for the input.
Expert:  John replied 6 years ago.
Let me know what you find out!