Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master, L1, 32 years, Diagnostic / Electrical Specialist
13677702

chevy venture: Check engine light..auto shop..it needed an egr valve

I have a 03 chevy venture. Check engine light has been on for a while. Took it to auto shop and said it needed an egr valve. Have the part but haven't gotten it put in yet. Now the car is idlying really fast sometimes (even in neutral) and hestitating to when trying to excell and takes awhile to change gears. Doens't happen all the time but lately more. Any suggestions?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.

Hello, My first thought would be to change EGR. This type EGR really does not go bad often but what does happen is a small piece of carbon gets caught under the small pintle on the end of the valve.This hold the valve open and will cause all symptoms just like a vacuum leak etc. High idle, hesitiation,and could? affect shifting. You can try tapping lightly on the EGR and the piece of carbon may fall out OR you can remove egr slowly and carefully and turn it over to see if a piece of carbon is caught. Reason for doing slow is you want to see the carbon to confirm so rough hadling removing it could dislodge the carbon and you will not know if that was the problem. I would look at the EGR first before replace. All of you problem smay very well be right there and no part needed

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

1. Turn OFF the ignition.

1. Disconnect the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve electrical connector.
  2. Remove the transaxle fluid filler tube.
  3. Remove the bolt retaining the pipe assembly from the EGR valve and carefully pull the pipe assembly back.
  4. Remove the EGR valve retaining bolts.
  5. Remove the EGR valve assembly.
  6. Remove the gasket.
  7. Clean the EGR valve mating surface.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. Install the EGR valve with a new gasket to the intake manifold.
  2. Install the bolts through the EGR valve. NOTE: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions. Tighten Tighten the bolts to 30 N.m (22 lb ft) .
  3. Connect the pipe assembly to the EGR valve.
  4. Install the bolt. Tighten Tighten the bolts to 25 N.m (18 lb ft) .
  5. Install the transaxle fluid filler tube.
  6. Connect the EGR valve electrical connector.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Does it also sound like a tranmission problem? Do you think it is worth getting my transmission fluid changed too?
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
A stuck open EGR can affect many things as when the engine not running correct, the shift pattern can be affected. Since pulling the EGR is easy, I would address that first.It may very well make the trans shift normal again as well. I am not ruling out trans problem and yes you always start with fluid servcie. Do the EGR inspect first.
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience: ASE Master, L1, 32 years, Diagnostic / Electrical Specialist