quickcar
quickcar, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  10+ years automotive experience
17227360

How many bolts hold the engine to the bell housing on a 1999

How many bolts hold the engine to the bell housing on a 1999 Chevy Suburban K1500 5.7 L automatic trans?
I have removed 6 "stud bolts" but engine still won't separate from trans bell housing.
Perhaps the 2 dowels are too rusted? or I missed a bolt because region above bell housing and back of engine are too close to the firewall & tunnel?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  quickcar replied 7 years ago.

here is picture of the trans bolts that i believe will help you other then the 6 "stud bolts " you removed it looks like there is a couple bolts at the bottom.

graphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The bottom bolts you mentioned are in clear view from under the vehicle and I had removed them before the 6 "stud bolts". ... these bottom bolts simply hold the sheet metal cover over the open bell housing to shield the torque converter but they do not hold the bell housing onto the engine.

Got any better answer ?

Expert:  quickcar replied 7 years ago.

thats not what i meant, i meant to provide the picture so you can see where all the bolts are, if have all those out then its just rust around the dowels thats holding it up. i assume you have everything unbolt like the torque convertor as well. as long as everything is unbolted then i just grab the transmission by the tail housing while its supported with a jack and rock it side to side and up and down.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The drawing you sent is not correct for my bell housing. It shows one of the 6 bolts at the top centerline. There is no such top centerline bolt on my bell housing.

What do you mean unbolt the torque converter? How can I do that...it is inside the bell housing.

Some of your advice about rocking the transmission is impossible....remember the engine/transmission assembly is still in the vehicle.

Expert:  quickcar replied 7 years ago.

have to unbolt the torque convertor from the flywheel, you do this by turning the crankshaft of the motor with a socket on the damper bolt until you can access the bolts that secure the torque convertor to the flywheel.

i mainly included that picture to show you that they only show 6 bolts for your trans which it sounds like you have them all removed.

rocking the transmission is not impossible, i used the description of rocking to get you the idea of what was necessary to get it broken loose.