Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

Driving down the street engen..stopped running..stranded..restarted

Driving down the street engen in 2005 cavilear stopped running. Sat stranded for a short while and engen restarted.What was the problem and will it happen again ?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 6 years ago.
did it die as if you turned off the key?what engine do you have?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This is my 18 yr.old grand daughter's car. I have contacted her regarding your 2 questions, will respngd asap

i will be on and off of here all day..also ask if the engine light is on when the car is running

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Did not die real suddenly. On the motor found ECOTEC 2.2 ltr also found iouzy-t405141345
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Engine light not on. Grand daughter now says it might have died suddenly. After starting the car she drove home, about 4 miles, without any problem. Could this have been just a fluke?

yes,this could have been just a fluke..but if it does it a may be the crank sensor,,this will do this when they start going bad

please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..i'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please dont let this stand in the way of you accepting my does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Description and Operation

This system uses a magnetic CKP sensor, mounted remotely from the ICM, which protrudes into the block within approximately 0.050 inches from the crankshaft reluctor. The graphic illustrates a typical sensor in relationship to the crankshaft reluctor. The reluctor is a special wheel which is cast into the crankshaft with 7 slots machined into the wheel, 6 of which are equally spaced (60 degrees apart). A seventh slot is spaced 10 degrees from one of the other slots and serves to generate sync-pules. As the reluctor rotates as part of the crankshaft, the slots change the magnetic field of the sensor, creating an induced voltage pulse. This signal is known as the 7x or low resolution signal because it occurs 7 times per crankshaft resolution. The PCM uses this signal to determine the speed and position of the crankshaft. The 7x reference signal is also used for fuel injector activation and ignition coil sequencing.

Crankshaft Position (CKP) Sensor Replacement

CAUTION: Refer to Vehicle Lifting Caution in Service Precautions .

1. Raise the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle.
  2. Remove the Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor harness connector.

1. Remove the CKP sensor mounting bolt (2).
  2. Remove the CKP sensor from the engine (1).
  3. Inspect the CKP sensor O-ring for wear, cracks or leakage. Replace the O-ring if necessary.

1. Install the CKP sensor (1) into the block. NOTE: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.
  2. Install the CKP sensor mounting bolt (2). Tighten Tighten the CKP sensor mounting bolts to 8 N.m (71 lb in ).

1. Install the CKP sensor harness connector.
  2. Lower the vehicle.