Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master, L1, 32 years, Diagnostic / Electrical Specialist
13677702

2007 Chevrolet Aveo: brakes..a metal clicking sound when I..slow down

Customer Question

In april I had new brakes put into my car (2007 Chevrolet Aveo. The day after I picked u my car I started to hear a metal clicking sound when I would slow down and brake at a light. I took it back and the dealer said he had to adjust the brakes...I still heard the sound. I took it back he sprayed the brakes. Ok now I took it to another chevy dealer and he told me its the natural sound of the breaks. (now when I slow down to a stop I really hear a loud clicking sound. Ok now its november while getting an oil change I asked the same dealer to check again.
The mechanic says both my rotors need to be shaved down and possibly i need new brake pads, plus i should change the brake fluid.

Sorry for the long story but does this sound right, and if so why did it take several months for someone to figure it out??

Dee
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Randall C replied 7 years ago.

Hello, what brakes were done? front/rear or both?

From where is the noise? the front or rear?

Also, when first brakes done, what was done pads only?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The Front Brakes were done in April and thats when I started to hear the clicking sound. I hear it both on the driver side and passenger side. I hear it more so on the drivers side. I just called the previous dealer and he said the brake pads were done and the fluid was tapped off.
Expert:  Randall C replied 7 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX front brake pads were done. How amny miles on car and was this the first brake job on the front?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Around 35,0000.

Expert:  Randall C replied 7 years ago.
Thanks. I can not give another answer but can confirm what you are being told. The first brake job may have been pads only,. Unsure if they turned rotors then or just put in pads. Sounds like just pads. There are a couple options when doing a brake job. Just put in pads, do pads,turn rotors OR do pads and change rotors. Nowadays rotors are evry inexpensive. Much safer to repalce them than to try and turn on a lathe. keeps cost down as well. You are most likely experiencing warped rotors. If they are, the claipers will jiggle back and forth when braking causing a click type noise. I suspect the rotors should be changed and not turned at this point. If the pads wore out that soon, the rear brakes need to be readjusted so front are not taking all the stopping power and wearing out early. brake fluid? no need to change. this is ONLY a recommended service and shops do like to upsell this service. this will have no bearing on your problem at hand. It is your call on the fluid change. At a minimum I would have the rotors repalced and pads if needed and rear brakes checked ofr adjustment. A dealer will be higher price on parts vs a inependent shop. In summary, warped rotors will cause your problem and is very common. There are different grades of pads as well. Cheaper ones do not last as long as premium. If you do pads, you may want a quote on premium pads
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you! Your answer was very helpful!