Joel
Joel, Auto technician
Experience:  GM, ASE Certified Technician. Chevy, Buick, Pontiac, Olds. Over 18 Years experience and growing.
5217488

CHEVY LUMINA: I

Customer Question

I HAVE A CHEVY LUMINA IN I LOST MY KEY TO START IT IS THERE ANY WERE I CaN GO TO GET MY KEY REPLACED
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Joel replied 7 years ago.

Hello and welcome.

Your keys have a security chip in it.

The only way to get a key is at the dealer. You would have to show proof of ownership, and a photo ID.

The dealer must also hook up a machine to read the security module in order to get the correct key number. Must have the correct key number / chip in key, for it to start.

Cannot just get a key cut to match the cylinder, it must have the correct security chip.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
WHAT IF I HAVE THE TITLE BUT IT'S NOT IN MY NAME WILL THEY STILL LET ME REPLACES THE AND I DONT HAVE A KEY NUMBER HOW DO I GET IF I CAN REPLACE IT
Expert:  Joel replied 7 years ago.

No, they will only get a key for the owner whos name is XXXXX XXXXX

As stated above, the dealer needs to install a tool to the car to check what key code it needs.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
IS THERE ANY OTHER OPTION BECAUSE I BOUGHT THE CAR FROM AT TIME I DIDNT KNOW THAT THEY NEED TO SIGN THE BACK AND THERE NO WERE TO BE FOUND WHAT SHOULD I DO
Expert:  Joel replied 7 years ago.

HMM. Not sure.

You can try your local dealer and show them the title, explain it to them, and maybe show some sort of proof of purchase, since if you just bought it, you would not have a title in your name yet anyway, even if they did sign it.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
DO KNOW HOW ABOUT HOW MUCH THIS WOULD COST ME AND WHAT DEALER SHOULD I GO TO
Expert:  Joel replied 7 years ago.

Any GM dealer.- Chevy, Buick, Pontiac

Key is about $25, plus maybe $50 to plug in to get the code.