Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

Im doing the rear disk brakes on a 91 chevy lumina. The pistons

I'm doing the rear disk brakes on a 91 chevy lumina. The pistons will not retract enough(screw in) to get the new pads in. It's not even close. They do turn in, but get to a certain point, and then just spin. Any ideas? Mike
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 years ago.
Maybe there is some crud inside the bore, you may have to take the piston all the way out and use some emory cloth and clean the bore. Does the other side go in all the way? Try the other side first and see if that screws in all the way. If not maybe it's been so long a time since that piston has been that far in that the bore has developed some crud.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I've tried both sides and they both do exactly the same thing.
Expert:  Mike S. replied 4 years ago.

I would take the pistons out and clean the bores.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/repairinfo/repairguide/repairGuideContent.jsp?chapterTitle=Rear+Disc+Brakes&partName=Brakes&pageId=0900c152800682bf&partId=0900c15280068269#hd1-1-2

OVERHAUL

1988-93 Vehicles

See Figures 5 through 18

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 5: Unfasten the nut...

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 6: ... then remove the lever

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 7: Remove the lever seal and...

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 8: ... the anti-friction washer, if used

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 9: Rotate the actuator screw...

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 10: ... then remove the piston from the bore

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 11: Remove the balance spring

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 12: Remove the actuator screw by pressing on the thread end

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 13: Remove the shaft seal and thrust washer from the screw

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 14: Remove the boot, being careful not to scratch the caliper bore

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 15: Use ring pliers to compress the retainer...

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 16: ... then withdraw the retainer from the bore

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 17: Remove the piston locator...

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Fig. 18: ... then remove the piston seal from the caliper bore

1. Remove the caliper assembly from the vehicle as previously outlined.
  2. Remove the sleeve and bolt boots. Check the boots and bolts for damage and corrosion.
  3. Remove the brake pad retainer from the end of the piston by rotating the retainer until the inside tabs line up with the notches in the piston.
  4. Remove the locknut, lever, lever seal and anti-friction washer (if installed) from the caliper.
  5. Remove the piston by using a wrench to rotate the actuator screw to work the piston out of the caliper bore.
  6. Remove the balance spring and actuator screw.
  7. Remove the shaft seal, thrust washer and boot.
  8. Remove the retainer using ring pliers and a piston locator.
  9. Remove the piston seal using a non-metallic seal pick.
  10. Carefully remove the bleeder valve. If the valve breaks, the caliper should be replaced.
  11. Inspect all parts for damage and replace if necessary.
  12. Clean all parts in denatured alcohol and dry with compressed air.
  13. Install the bleeder valve.
  14. Install the bracket and bolt.
  15. Lubricate the new piston seals with clean brake fluid and install into the caliper bore. Make sure they are not twisted.
  16. Lubricate the piston locating tool J36627, do NOT install the piston.
  17. Install the thrust washer on the actuator screw with the copper side towards the piston.
  18. Lubricate the shaft seal and install it on the actuator screw.
  19. Install the actuator into the piston assembly.
  20. Install the balance spring and retainer into the piston.
  21. After all the components are lubricated and installed into the piston, install the piston into the bore. Push the piston into the bore so that the locator is past the retainer groove in the caliper bore.
  22. Install the retainer using retainer ring pliers.
  23. Install the boot onto the piston with the inside lip of the boot in the piston groove and the boot fold is towards the end of the piston. Push the piston to the bottom of the bore.
  24. Lubricate and install the lever seal over the end of the actuator screw.
  25. Install the lever and rotate away from the stop slightly. Hold the lever while tightening the locknut to 32 ft. lbs. (44 Nm).
  26. Install the pad retainer in the groove at the end of the piston.
  27. Align the inside retainer tabs with the piston notches. Rotate the retainer so that the tabs enter the piston groove.
  28. Lubricate with silicone grease and install the sleeve and bolt boots.
  29. Install the caliper assembly and tighten the retaining bolts to 92 ft. lbs. (125 Nm).
  30. Bleed the brake system as outlined in this section.

Mike S., Chevy Mechanic
Experience: ASE Certified Master Technician