Joel
Joel, Auto technician
Experience:  GM, ASE Certified Technician. Chevy, Buick, Pontiac, Olds. Over 18 Years experience and growing.
5217488

My 2001 chevy impala wont start at times. The security light

My 2001 chevy impala won't start at times. The security light is blinking and it eventually starts in 10-15 minutes. Had a diagnostic test at a chevrolet dealer and they said to replace the Body control module at $498 or the passlock cylinder at $370. They weren't sure which one but I can only afford one. Please tell me which one

Hello and welcome.

Well, the most common cause for a security light and the car to not start is the Passlock cylinder.

This is a common failure on many GM cars.

The fact that it starts after 10-15 minutes leads me to believe this is your problem.

The waiting is basicaly a relearn of the theft password, which tells me the BCM is functioning and able to relearn the password XXXXX Passlock sensor gives it.

Not to say i have not had a few BCM's cause this over the years, but 98% of the time it is the Passlock sensor.

Actiually, since it is so common, when we have a problem car and can't descide which one is bad, we ALWAYS do the passlock sensor first. Almost always takes care of problem.

Hope this was helpful,

Joel