Scott
Scott, Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Master Tech, ASE Master tech- automotive
24665677

2007 Chevy: gas engine..truck will crank over but will not start

Customer Question

My 2007 Chevy 2500 HD 6.0 gas engine. I have had on a couple of occasions the truck will crank over but will not start. It seems like its getting no gas or maybe no spark. It happened to me three times yesterday, after I waited a while it would start. I took it in today and the tech it started right up like 40 times. It happened once to me a week ago yeaterday but started after I let it sit for a while. Any ideas. The tech said that no computer codes showed up.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Scott replied 5 years ago.
You probably need a fuel pump. Fuel pumps are covered 5yr/100,000mi on this truck from the factory. If you can catch it acting up, you will need to attach a fuel pressure gage to the fuel rail and check fuel presure. Fuel pressure should be between 50-60psi key on engine off. Pressure should build instantly even while cranking.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I bought the truck used, It had the three year /36k mile waranty. I got an extended warranty but they said it only takes care of the lubricated parts.I guess I should have the mecahnic change the fuel pump any way.
Expert:  Scott replied 5 years ago.
How many miles do you have on your truck? Whether you bought it used or not shouldn't matter for powertrain warranty.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I bought it at 34k miles and it now has 39k
Expert:  Scott replied 5 years ago.
You need to take you truck to your local Chevrolet dealer. The fuel pump is still under factory warranty and you should be able to get it replaced at no cost. Call 1-800-222-1020 if you want to make sure its covered before you go. This is Chevrolet's customer assitance phone number. The dealer will probably have to verify you concern before they can actually replace the pump, but they should be willing to work with you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you very much for your help Scott. I will call them in the morning.
Expert:  Scott replied 5 years ago.
Your Welcome
Scott, Chevy Technician
Experience: GM Master Tech, ASE Master tech- automotive
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Scott,

Since I have had the mechanic look at it, he brought up that when I bought the truck it was used and it did not come with the keyless entry or the chip key ignition. I have just a regular copied key for the ignition and a black top key to open the door. The mechanic is thinking that the security program might be ingaged and shuts the fuel off at the pump. It makes sense, I have seen the security lock light come on a couple times. The Dealership was supposed to order my owners guide but said its back ordered and I am unable to look it up in the book. What do you think my options are to fix this. New ignition with a chip key.? Flash the computer. Thanks in advance.

Sean.

Expert:  Scott replied 5 years ago.
If the theft saw a problem and disabled the powetrain, there should have been a code set. If you have a bad key or wrong key it should set a code. This truck should not even crank if the theft module detects something wrong. The only scenario that I can think of that you could have a theft problem and the engine cranks over but doesnt fire, would be for the theft module to have failed itself. If this is the case, I reccommend that you replace the module and keys. Discard old keys and dont use them with the new theft module, this can create other problems for you.
Scott, Chevy Technician
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks Scott..
Expert:  Scott replied 5 years ago.
Your Welcome