JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech
6149662

Change Rear Rotors Brake Pads Chevrolet Avalanche

Can anyone give me a step by step instruction on how to change rear rotors and brake pads on a 02 chevrolet avalanche?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  JOHN aka Eauto replied 4 years ago.
Rear
Notes

Brake Pads Replacement - Rear

Removal Procedure

1. Inspect the fluid level in the brake master cylinder reservoir.
  2. If the brake fluid level is midway between the maximum-full point and the minimum allowable level, no brake fluid needs to be removed from the reservoir before proceeding.
  3. If the brake fluid level is higher than midway between the maximum-full point and the minimum allowable level, remove brake fluid to the midway point before proceeding.
  4. Raise and suitably support the vehicle. Refer to Vehicle Lifting.
  5. Remove the tire and wheel assembly.
  6. Inspect the caliper operation.

1. Place a c-clamp as shown. Slowly bottom the pistons of the caliper. It may be necessary to reposition the c-clamp to allow both of the pistons to bottom into the caliper bores. Notice: Support the brake caliper with heavy mechanic's wire, or equivalent, whenever it is separated from it's mount and the hydraulic flexible brake hose is still connected. Failure to support the caliper in this manner will cause the flexible brake hose to bear the weight of the caliper, which may cause damage to the brake hose and in turn may cause a brake fluid leak.
  2. Remove the caliper from the mounting bracket and support the caliper with heavy mechanic's wire or equivalent. DO NOT disconnect the hydraulic brake flexible hose from the caliper.
  3. Inspect the caliper assembly.

1. Remove the brake pads from the brake caliper bracket.
  2. Remove and discard the anti-rattle clips from the brake caliper mounting bracket.

Installation Procedure

1. Install the anti-rattle clips to the brake caliper bracket.
  2. Install the brake pads to the brake caliper bracket.
    • Install the inner pad-1 wear indicator.
    • Install the outer pad-2 wear indicators.
  1. Install the brake caliper to the mounting bracket.
  2. Install the tire and wheel assembly.
  3. Lower the vehicle.
  4. With the engine OFF, gradually apply the brake pedal to approximately 2/3 of its travel distance.
  5. Slowly release the brake pedal.
  6. Wait 15 seconds, then repeat steps 7-8 until a firm pedal is obtained. This will properly seat the brake caliper pistons and brake pads.
  7. Fill the master cylinder reservoir to the proper level with clean brake fluid.
  8. Burnish the brakes pads and rotors as necessary.

Rear
Notes

Brake Rotor Replacement - Rear

Removal Procedure

Tools Required

• J41013 Rotor Resurfacing Kit
  • J42450-A Wheel Hub Resurfacing Kit
  1. Release the park brake.
  2. Raise and suitably support the vehicle. Refer to Vehicle Lifting.
  3. Remove the tire and wheel assembly.

1. Mark the relationship of the rotor to the hub.
  2. Remove the brake caliper bracket mounting bolts. Notice: Support the brake caliper with heavy mechanic's wire, or equivalent, whenever it is separated from it's mount and the hydraulic flexible brake hose is still connected. Failure to support the caliper in this manner will cause the flexible brake hose to bear the weight of the caliper, which may cause damage to the brake hose and in turn may cause a brake fluid leak.
  3. Remove the brake caliper and brake caliper bracket as an assembly and support with heavy mechanic's wire or equivalent. DO NOT disconnect the hydraulic brake flexible hose from the caliper.
  4. Remove the rotor retaining push nuts from the wheel studs, if applicable.
  5. It may be necessary to strike the end of the hub or the rotor with a deadblow hammer to separate the rotor from the hub.
  6. Remove the rotor by slowly fuming the rotor while pulling the rotor away from the axle.

Installation Procedure

Notice: Whenever the brake rotor has been separated from the wheel bearing flange, clean any rust or foreign material from the mating surface of the rotor and flange with the J42450 hub cleaning kit. Failure to do this may result in increased lateral runout of the rotor and brake pulsation.

1. Use the J42450-A to clean all rust and contaminants from the mating surface of the hub flange.
  2. Use the J41013 to clean all rust and contaminants from the inside diameter of the hub section of the brake rotor to prevent any foreign material from getting between the brake rotor and the hub flange.
  3. Install the rotor by slowly fuming the rotor while pushing the rotor towards the axle.
  4. Install the caliper and the bracket as an assembly to the vehicle.
  5. Perform the following procedure before installing the caliper bracket mounting bolts.
    • Remove all traces of the original adhesive patch.
    • Clean the threads of the bolt with brake parts cleaner or the equivalent and allow to dry.
    • Apply Threadlocker GM P/N 12345493 (Canadian P/N 10953488) to the threads of the bolt.

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

1. Install the caliper bracket mounting bolts.
    • For the 15 Series, tighten the brake caliper bracket mounting bolts to 175 Nm (129 ft. lbs.).
    • For the 25 series, tighten the brake caliper bracket mounting bolts to 300 Nm (221 ft. lbs.).
  1. Install the tire and wheel assembly.
  2. Lower the vehicle.
  3. With the engine OFF, gradually apply the brake pedal to approximately 2/3 of its travel distance.
  4. Slowly release the brake pedal.
  5. Wait 15 seconds, then repeat steps 9-10 until a firm pedal is obtained. This will properly seat the brake caliper pistons and brake pads.
  6. Fill the master cylinder reservoir to the proper level with clean brake fluid.

JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy
Experience: ase tech