Scott, Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Master Tech, ASE Master tech- automotive

2004 chevy: duramax diesel..diesel 2500, the gas gauge..cant fix

Customer Question

I have a 2004 chevy duramax diesel 2500, the gas gauge is reading upside down. How do I fix it, if I can't fix it how much will it cost?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Scott replied 6 years ago.
How many miles do you have on your truck? is it less than 70,000?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Expert:  Scott replied 6 years ago.
GM had a special policy on this concern, but you are outside the mileage breakpoint. You will have to take your truck to a GM dealer to have the instrument cluster replaced and programmed to your truck. If you were to have this repair performed at the shop I work at you would be looking at $500-600 for the repair. The dealer will have to order the cluster, takes 1-2 days to get. Will take them about an hour to replace and program the new one for you. This is a common problem with the 2003-05 model year trucks. Especially the 2004 model year.