Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master, L1, 32 years, Diagnostic / Electrical Specialist

I turn my steering wheel to the right, it is hard to turn

Sometimes when i turn my steering wheel to the right, it is hard to turn. sometimes when i tap the gas the wheel turn easy. it does not happen all the time, most of the time it is hard to turn when the car is completly stopped. i flushed it but that did not help much, it only happens when i turn the wheel to the right. do you think my pump is going bad or is it a bigger problem??
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.

Hello, in most cases with this symptom, the rack pinion gear is bad. there are special valves inside to direct assist left or right. By adding a littl gas, you are building pump pressure and freeing up a sticking valve or so. A pump will not cause loss of assist in one direction. Your rack/pinion is most likely going to need to be replaced. You do however want to put a jack directly under the lower control arm on each side, leave tires on and use your hands to swing the wheel all the way left and then right. just to be sure a strup bearing is not binding. Not likely but worth checking./

The power steering gear includes the following major internal components:

• The power steering gear pinion and valve shaft
  • The steering gear rack and piston
  • The inner tie rods
  • The outer tie rods

The steering gear rack and piston is supported at the ends in the steering gear housing. The steering gear rack and piston is sealed in order to prevent leakage across the piston. The pinion and valve intersects with the rack and piston and meshes directly with the teeth of the rack and piston.
Manual steering is always available during the following situations:

Steering effort is increased when the above conditions exists.
The power steering pump provides hydraulic pressure and fluid flow in order to move the gear components. This action occurs when the vehicle is parked or moving. The valve directs pressurized fluid during a steering maneuver. The fluid travels through the external steel cylinder lines in order to act on the rack and piston. When the vehicle is turned right, the steering valve opens and routes pressurized fluid to the left side of the piston. At the same time, the valve allows fluid to escape from the right side of the piston and return to the valve area. The fluid pressure is converted into a mechanical force which is applied to the piston. This difference in force across the piston causes the rack to move to the right. The opposite action occurs when the gear is turned to the left.
The effort to steer the vehicle is created by the pressure difference at the piston when the following conditions exist:

• The power steering pump (3) provides pressurized fluid to the gear.
  • The valve is operating correctly.

Removal Procedure

1. Place drain pan(s) under vehicle under steering gear and pump.
    2. Raise and suitably support vehicle. Refer to Vehicle Lifting.

1. Remove power steering gear inlet (3) and outlet (2) hoses from steering gear (1).
    2. Lower vehicle.
    3. Remove the serpentine belt.
    4. Remove the power steering pump pulley. Refer to Power Steering Pulley Replacement

1. Remove inlet hose fitting (3) from pump (1).
    2. Remove outlet hose from reservoir.

Installation Procedure

Important: Inlet and outlet hoses must be oriented so as adequate clearance is maintained between both hoses and surrounding components to prevent chafing. Use minimum clearance of 12 mm (0.47 inch) . The outlet hose must not be twisted during installation. Do not bend or distort inlet and outlet hoses to make installation easier. Failure to follow these procedures could result in component damage.

1. Install outlet hose to reservoir.

1. Install inlet hose fitting (3) to pump (1).
    2. Install the power steering pump pulley. Refer to Power Steering Pulley Replacement
    3. Install the serpentine belt.
    4. Raise and suitably support vehicle. Refer to Vehicle Lifting. Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

1. Install inlet and outlet hoses (2, 3) to steering gear (1).
      • Tighten the inlet hose (3) to 28 Nm (21 ft. lbs.) .
      • Tighten the outlet hose (2) to 28 Nm (21 ft. lbs.) .
    1. Lower vehicle.
    2. Remove drain pan.
    3. Refill and bleed power steering system. Refer to Bleeding Power Steering System.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Awesome anwser, well I have just two more and I will accept your answer. the airbags were deployed and i have not replaced them. is there anyway to get the airbag light to go off without replacing them? next question, my ABS and ASR light are both on, do you think it is a bad wheel sensor? i really dont want to take it to a shop and pay them 60-80 just to run an ABS scanner on it, anything else i can do you figure it out?
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
No. the airbags must be done or the light will remain and not accpet reset. bulb only option but dangerous and do not recommend, The ABS must be scanned. just too may parts involved. A scanner can look at all speed sensors etc and get the code. now, depending wher you are, most parts stores will scan fro free like Autozone, advance, Napa etc. you can get a code or more and go from there. there is just no guess on ABS /traction
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience: ASE Master, L1, 32 years, Diagnostic / Electrical Specialist