Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

how to replace intake gasket on 99 Chevy Suburban 5.7L (350)motor.

how to replace intake gasket on 99 Chevy Suburban 5.7L (350)motor. Where I can find step by step instructions?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

Here are directions:

5.0L, 5.7L And 7.4L Engines

1. Remove or disconnect the following:
    NOTE Note the location of the manifold bolts and studs before removal for reassembly in their original positions.

NOTE Do not disassemble the Central Sequential Fuel Injection (CSFI) unit.

2. Negative battery cable
  3. Engine cover
  4. Air cleaner intake duct
  5. Coolant reservoir
  6. Wiring harness connectors and brackets
  7. Throttle linkage and bracket from the upper intake manifold
  8. Cruise control cable, if equipped
  9. Fuel lines and the bracket from the rear of the intake manifold
  10. Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) valve and hoses
  11. Ignition coil and bracket
  12. Purge solenoid and bracket

Intake manifold bolts and studs

Upper intake manifold
  13. Clean the old gasket residue from both mating surfaces.

14. Distributor
  15. Upper radiator hose from the thermostat housing
  16. Heater hose from the lower intake manifold
  17. Coolant bypass hose \
  18. Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve
  19. Fuel pressure and return lines from the lower intake manifold
  20. Wiring harnesses and brackets from the lower manifold
  21. Left side valve cover
  22. Transmission oil level indicator and tube, if equipped
  23. EGR tube, clamp and bolt
  24. Air conditioning compressor and bracket, but do not disconnect the lines
  25. Loosen the compressor mounting bracket and slide it forward, but do not remove it.

Power brake vacuum tube
  26. Lower intake manifold bolts and lower intake manifold

To install:

1. Clean all gasket surfaces completely.
  2. Install the intake manifold gaskets with the port blocking plates facing the rear. Factory gaskets should have the words This Side Up visible.
  3. Apply gasket sealer to the front and rear sealing surfaces of the engine block. Extend the sealer approximately 1 / 2 inch (13mm) onto the heads.
  4. Install the lower intake manifold.
  5. Apply sealer to the lower intake manifold bolts prior to installation.
  6. On the 5.0L and 5.7L engines, install the bolts and torque in sequence as follows:
    1. Step 1: 71 inch lbs. (8 Nm).
    2. Step 2: 106 inch lbs. (12 Nm).
    3. Step 3: 11 ft. lbs. (15 Nm).

7. On the 7.4L engine, torque the bolts to 30 ft. lbs. (40 Nm) in the sequence shown.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Lower intake manifold bolt tightening sequence-5.0L and 5.7L engines

8. Install or connect the following:
    WARNING When installing the upper intake manifold be careful not to pinch the injector wires between the upper and lower intake manifolds.

9. Power brake vacuum tube
  10. PCV valve and hose
  11. EGR tube, clamp and bolt
  12. Transmission oil level indicator and tube, if equipped
  13. Left side valve cover
  14. Wiring harnesses and brackets to the lower manifold
  15. Fuel pressure and return lines to the lower intake manifold
  16. EGR valve
  17. Coolant bypass hose
  18. Heater hose to the lower intake manifold
  19. Upper radiator hose to the thermostat housing
  20. Air conditioning compressor and bracket
  21. Distributor
  22. Upper intake manifold gasket
  23. Upper intake manifold

Upper intake manifold mounting bolts/studs, torque in a crisscross pattern as follows:
    1. Step 1: Torque the bolts/studs to 44 inch lbs. (5 Nm).
    2. Step 2: Torque the bolts/studs to 83 inch lbs. (10 Nm).

3. Purge solenoid and bracket
    4. Fuel lines and the bracket at the rear of the intake manifold
    5. Ignition coil and bracket
    6. Throttle linkage and bracket to the upper intake manifold
    7. Throttle linkage cable
    8. Cruise control cable, if equipped
    9. Wiring harness connectors and brackets
    10. Air cleaner intake duct
    11. Coolant recovery reservoir and the engine cover
    12. Negative battery cable

24. Start the vehicle and verify that there are no leaks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How the distributor goes back during assembly. Does the gear need to be in specific position. I am concerned about the gear teeth are not in same position as they came out, it may mess up the firing order. What is your suggestion?
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

have you removed it yet?

please remember that this is a paysite, not a free service

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes, distributer is out, and I am not sure how will it go back.
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

Here are directions to re-install the distributor:

• Remove the No. 1 cylinder spark plug. Turn the engine using a socket wrench on the large bolt on the front of the crankshaft pulley. Place a finger near the No. 1 spark plug hole and turn the crankshaft until the piston reaches TDC. As the engine approaches TDC, you will feel air being expelled through the No. 1 cylinder spark plug hole. The timing mark on the crankshaft pulley should now be aligned with the 0 mark on the timing scale. If the position is not being met, turn the engine another full turn (360 degrees) Once the engines position is correct, install the spark plug.
  • NOTE Before installation, position the rotor so it points to the No. 2 terminal on the cap. As the distributor is lowered into the engine, the rotor will rotate clockwise and stop at the No. 1 terminal. This is the desired position.
  • Turn the rotor so that it will point to the No. 1 terminal of the distributor cap when it is fully seated in the engine.
  • Install the distributor. It may be necessary to turn the rotor a little in either direction, in order to engage the gears.
  • NOTE If the distributor will not seat completely in the engine, remove the distributor and align the groove on the top of the oil pump drive shaft with a long screwdriver to match the tab on the bottom of the distributor shaft. Reinstall the distributor.
  • Tap the starter a few times to ensure that the oil pump shaft is mated to the distributor shaft.
  • Bring the engine to TDC again and check that the rotor is pointed toward the No. 1 terminal of the cap.
  • Install or connect the following:

Hold-down bolt and tighten Cap and fasten the mounting screws Electrical connections and the spark plug wires
  • Customer: replied 5 years ago.

1) Where is the timing mark on the crank shaft pulley ? Is it visible? and where is the timing scale?

2) The Lower Intake and Upper Intake are already back in. And I was putting the distributer back, it is not seating fully. I did not do any of the stuff as you just mentioned. Do you think distributor will seat fully only if it is in right position?

Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

The timing mark on the crank shaft pulley will be visible. Its on the edge and is a groove cut into the pulley. The timing scale is on the timing cover behind the crank pulley and is visible:

graphic

If you follow the directions provided, the distributor will seat properly

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
    Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.