Ivan
Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech. 20+ years experience. 9 years self employed. Expert on AUTOLAB Radio Show
10772012

How do I fix a 2000 chevy blazer door latch that seems to be

How do I fix a 2000 chevy blazer door latch that seems to be frozen
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ivan replied 4 years ago.

HelloCustomer when you say frozen, are you having the situation where the door will not close, like the latch is blocking it from closing?

Your JA Expert,

Ivan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes that right the door will not close
Expert:  Ivan replied 4 years ago.
This is very common. If you look, that latch swings down to lock around the striker which is the rod that sticks out of the door jamb for the latch to grab. When that latch closes with the door open, you need to hold the door handle like you are opening the door and at the same time, with that screwdriver, stick it into the latch, and try to pull towards the car, letting that claw to move back up and release. Take your time, when you do it, you'll be surprised how easy it is to correct.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
that did not work and while i did that a spring came loose
Expert:  Ivan replied 4 years ago.

Where did a spring come loose from, the latch or the hinge?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
from the latch
Expert:  Ivan replied 4 years ago.

The way this works is there is a the metal claw that has swung down by accident. When the inside or outside handles are lifted, the blocking component is moved away from that claw, so it will move freely back into open position. No prying is necessary, just a little pressure to cause it to move. You may have pushed the screwdriver into the latch too deep and pried with some effort. It should move very easily, once you get the right motion. Look at this latch, then look at the other side to see what swings down. If a spring fell out, there is a good chance that latch will need replacing now, but you should still be able to get the latch to open. Take your time and have patience. It will move very easily as long as you are holding the handle open at the same time.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have tried and mechanism is not moving
Expert:  Ivan replied 4 years ago.
That latch may have completely failed. Generally if that lever drops, it moves back effortlessly. If with the handle lifted, you can't get it to move, it may have jammed. I want you to try one more time. Look at the way the latch would grab the striker. If you were to open the door normally, the latch would open and allow the striker to come out of it's grip. Look at how those forces would work and that is the direction the lever needs to move. Bring the door close to closing point and look at how it would need to move to release that striker. A lot of the time, this comes down to just understanding what happens when the handle is pulled and the door is released to open
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have worked on this latch and there is nothing moving at all
Expert:  Ivan replied 4 years ago.
That latch is going to have to be replaced then. You would have gotten it, if it was tripped in the normal fashion. Do you want to tackle this yourself?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will try to do this, any suggestions
Expert:  Ivan replied 4 years ago.
This is the basic things that you need to accomplish, see if these two things are something that you will feel comfortable with. If you feel confident, I will upload specific directions. You will need to remove the door panel and have the tools you need to remove the screws that you will see around the the latch itself. Let me know what you think, and I'll upload the procedures.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
please upload specific directions

thanks
Expert:  Ivan replied 4 years ago.

Ok, here is the latch, the door lock actuator is integrated into the latch. First I'm giving you the instructions to remove the component, then below you will find the procedure to remove the door panel. With this info, you should have everything you need to perform the job less the tools. Also, don't disconnect the battery. I refrain from that to avoid unexpected problems. If you need any other info, don't hesitate to ask.

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

1. Raise the window to the closed position.

CAUTION: Refer to Battery Disconnect Caution in Service Precautions.

1. Disconnect the battery negative cable.
  2. Remove the door trim panel.
  3. Remove the water deflector.
  4. Remove the inside door lock rod (1) from the lock assembly.
  5. Remove the inside door handle rod (2) from the lock assembly.

1. Remove the outside door lock rod (1) from the lock assembly.
  2. Remove the outside door handle rod (2) from the lock assembly.
  3. Disconnect the power actuator wiring connector, if equipped.
  4. Remove the fasteners that retain the lock assembly to the door.
  5. Remove the lock assembly from the door.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

1. Install the lock assembly to the door. NOTE: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.
  2. Install the fasteners that retain the lock assembly to the door. Tighten Tighten the fasteners to 9 N.m (80 lb in) .
  3. Connect the power actuator wiring connector, if equipped.
  4. Install the outside door handle rod (2) to the lock assembly.
  5. Install the outside lock rod (1) to the lock assembly.

1. Install the inside door handle rod (2) to the lock assembly.
  2. Install the inside door lock rod to the lock assembly (1).
  3. Install the water deflector.
  4. Install the door trim panel.
  5. Connect the battery negative cable.

Front Side Door Trim Panel Replacement

Tools Required

J 38778 Trim Pad and Garnish Clip Remover

Removal Procedure

1. Remove the inside door handle bezel.
  2. Remove the window regulator handle, if equipped.
  3. Remove the power accessory switch mounting panel, if equipped with power accessories.

1. Remove the trim panel armrest screws.
  2. Use the J 38778 in order to release the door trim panel retainers.
  3. Remove the door trim panel from the door.

Installation Procedure

1. Install the door trim panel to the door. Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.
  2. Install the trim panel armrest screws. Tighten the screws to 1.9 N.m (17 lb in).
  3. Install the power accessory switch mounting plate, if equipped with power accessories.
  4. Install the window regulator handle, if equipped.
  5. Install the inside door handle bezel.

Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience: ASE Master Tech. 20+ years experience. 9 years self employed. Expert on AUTOLAB Radio Show