Auto Go
Auto Go, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master certified, ASE certified Undercar Specialist, ASE Advanced Engine Performance certified
18805678

Tires..the bolt on the strut is not slotted which..defect

my tires on the back are both slanted inward, as a result, my tires are wearing out within 5 months. the bolt on the strut is not slotted which does not allow you to get the tire put on straight. Is this a common problem with this car, or is it a manufacturing defect. Its a 07 chev impala
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Auto Go replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

Yes, this is a common problem with this car. The alignment can be fixed with the installation of new upper strut mounting bolts designed to allow you to adjust the camber.

they should be available at almost any parts store. they look like this:

graphic

the above bolts are made by a company called Specialty Products Company. They will allow adjustment by installing in place of the upper strut mounting bolt. loosen the lower bolt and rotate the head of the new bolt to adjust camber. It's really a cool deal. And once they are in, they are in forever and you will always have the adjustment if you need it again.

here is another picture. its the same thing its just made by a different company called MOOG. They are probably the most popular manufacturers of aftermarket steering and suspension components.

graphic

Install these bolts as per the instructions in the box and take your car in to have it aligned and make sure you tell the shop that you have these bolts installed. If they are a good shop, they will know what you are talking about. this is the only way to make the adjustment short of elongating the holes in the struts and I don't recommend that.

thanks and have a great day!

PS the fronts can be adjusted the same way!
Auto Go, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master certified, ASE certified Undercar Specialist, ASE Advanced Engine Performance certified
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
TO INSTALL THE BOLTS AS INSTRUCTED ON THE BOX THE TIRES ARE SLANTED, YOUR ANSWER DOESN'T SEEM TO HELP. ARE YOU SUGGESTING A DIFFERENT BOLT THEN WHAT IS ON THERE.
Expert:  Auto Go replied 4 years ago.
yes. The bolts that are on there are are just regular bolts. The bolts I am asking you to install are special bolts that allow you to make a camber correction.

here is more information

graphic
Expert:  Auto Go replied 4 years ago.
Hello I see you have viewed my answer. Do you have any more questions? Did I answer your questions satisfactorily? If not, please continue to ask. My job isn't done until you are happy! If so please don't forget to accept my answer. i do not get paid anything for my work until you do! Thank you in advance!