Ken
Ken, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  GM Certified Technician, 25 Years Automotive Experience

seat heater on drivers seat in 04 Suburban will come on for

seat heater on drivers seat in 04 Suburban will come on for about 30 seconds and then shut down. Any ideas on what to look for?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.
Hi and thanks for your question! This should help you understand what is going on. Ken

Subject:Heated Seat Inoperative or Shuts Off In 30 Seconds

Models:2003-2006 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT
2003-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche, Suburban, Tahoe
2003-2007 Silverado Classic
2003-2007 GMC Sierra Classic, Sierra Denali Classic
2003-2006 Yukon, Yukon Denali, Yukon XL, Yukon Denali XL
2003-2007 Hummer H2

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

Driver and passenger heated seats inoperative or shut off in 30 seconds. There will be DTCs B2435, B2440, B3606 and/or B1825 set in the Drivers Seat Module. The adjustable pedal position sensor, seat recliner position sensor and both heat seat thermistors share the same 5 volt reference internal to the Drivers Seat Module. A fault in any of these components/circuits can make the heated seats inoperative or shut off in 30 seconds, as well as, the seat recliner and/or adjustment pedals may move in short increments when operated. A fault in heated seats, adjustable pedal or seat recliner will affect BOTH heated seats.

Note:: Even if the vehicle is not equipped with adjustable pedals DTC B3606 still may set.

Recommendation/Instructions:

To help isolate the area of concern use the Tech 2 and go to "Sensor Data" in the Drivers Seat Module. Monitor the following parameters for being out of range:

Recline Position- Normal range .39V-4.58V

Pedal Position (if equipped) - Normal range .39V-4.58V

Psgr. Seat Heat Sensor- Normal range 1V-4V

Drvr. Seat Heat Sensor- Normal range 1V-4V

If a parameter is found to be out of range inspect circuits for any opens, shorts to ground, or voltage. If none found replace the suspect component.

Please be aware of the following common areas of concern:

1. The adjustable pedal position sensor internally shorted pulling the 5 volt reference low. Disconnect the adjustable pedal position sensor and see if the heated seats start working correctly, if so replace.
  2. Note Important:: The APP (Accelerator Pedal Position) sensor is NOT the adjustable pedal position sensor. Make sure the correct sensor, adjustable pedal position sensor, is disconnected.

3. The seat recliner position sensor internally shorted pulling the 5 volt reference low. Disconnect the recliner position sensor and see if heated seats start working correctly, if so replace.
  4. An open in either heated seat thermistor circuits (signal or low reference). The most common is the passenger thermistor where it passes through seat connector C305 pin "L" or "K" or C399 pins "R" or "G".
  5. A chaff to ground on either heated seat thermistor signal circuits. The most common is circuit 5475 black/red or dark blue shorted to ground in the passenger seat near the buckle.
  6. Note Important:: The heated seat thermistors act differently to "OPENS and SHORTS" than the adjustable pedal position sensor and seat recliner position sensor. The adjustable pedals and seat recliner sensors can be disconnected for testing of the heated seats. Where as the heated seat thermistor circuit must be working correctly before EITHER heated seat will operate. Disconnecting one thermistor, which may have a concern will not allow the opposite heated seat to work correctly, BOTH side must be operational before EITHER heated seat will operate.

Clearing DTCs

If DTCs will not clear when using the Tech 2 after a repair has been made, try operating the device in which the repair was made. Example, if a repair was made to the passenger heated seat thermistor circuit, the DTCs may not clear unless the passenger heated seat is operated.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I dont have a Tech 2, can I check with a multi meter
Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.

A Tec 2 is the gm scan tool that lets a tec look at what the computer is seeing. I would inspect and look over what you have learned from this information. Look at the front seats hat move alot for a shorting wire. After that you may need to take this one in to have it looked at. Ken

Expert:  Ken replied 4 years ago.
Please remember to click " accepted" or I do not get compensated for helping you tonight. It does not end our chat. Thank You Ken
Ken, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: GM Certified Technician, 25 Years Automotive Experience