carguyjosh
carguyjosh, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE certified , 16 yrs in field
12326834

1997 Chevy Lumina: instrument lights..the fuses..instrument panel

Customer Question

Dear Sir, My 1997 Chevy Lumina instrument lights are out. Please tell me where to find the fuses for the instrument panel. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX Col Bob Akins, USMC, Ret.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  carguyjosh replied 7 years ago.

The fuse that controls the instrument lighting is located in the underhood fuse box on the driver's side..The fuse will be labeled as park lamps 15amp fuse...

Now, If this fuse is indeed the problem, the park light would also not be working..

Please check your park lights to see if they are indeed out, if they work, we will need to go further into the electrical system..

Please be sure to check the interior light dimmer switch on the headlight switch to be sure that it did not get turned down...

Please let me know what you find and if we need to go further...

Thanks, Carguyjosh

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It is 9:30 PM here in Maine, so I will do this tomrrow and get back, or accept. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX

No problem, Have a good night...

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Josh, Had a great night here in Maine, got up early to check your recommendations. The parking lights work and the dimmer is not off - any ideas? Semper Fi. Bob

I am at work this morning so I woll do my best to help you through this repair.

One more question, do your dimmer lights on the radio and heater controls work?

Please let me know...Thanks, Josh

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Josh, Some more info on tis Lumina problem. But first it looks like every time I try to talk to you someone wants $3, so please try hard to help with the next answer. The new thing we nitice is that when we turn on the headlights the radio lights go out and occasuionally flicker. Hope this helps as I am not likely to keep paying someone ( it is not you ) $3 to talk to you I'd rather pay you, but it is not set up that way. Probably set up by a non Marine:) Semper Fi. Bob

Ok. First off I will be sending over the wiring diagram for this circuit. I have no idea why they want $3 to respond to me, but I'll see what I can figure out about that...

I'll cut to the chase here. I don't want you being harassed for $3 each time we talk...

When you tell me that the radio lights go out and sometimes flicker, My first though is that the headlight switch with the built in dimmer is failing...

As you will see in the diagram below, if you pull the headlight switch out and connect your meter pos. lead to the Gray wire and connect the ground of your meter to the

Black wire, as you rotate the dimmer switch to dim the dash lights, the voltage on your meter should go down...

If you are not showing voltage on your meter, Touch the pos lead of your meter to the orange wire going into the switch and verify battery voltage...If battery voltage is present but when connected to the Gray wire it is not, the switch has failed...

Please let me know what you find...

Thanks, Josh

There was no reason to rush to accept, I want to help until the problem is repaired. I am hoping that you are no longer seeing a message that you have to pay $ to view this...

Please ask me anything that you need to fix this problem....

Thanks, Josh