JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy
Experience:  ase tech
6149662

2004 chevy avalanche 1500 4x4 5.3 l front axle seal leaking

2004 chevy avalanche 1500 4x4 5.3 l

front axle seal leaking on passangers side, i removed the cv shaft from the flange, how do you remove flange from axle to relace seal?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  JOHN aka Eauto replied 5 years ago.
Front
Notes

Wheel Drive Shaft Replacement

• Tools Required
  • J 45859 Axle Remover

Removal Procedure

1. Raise the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle.
  2. Remove the wheel and tire assembly. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation.
  3. Remove the drive axle center cap, if equipped.

1. Insert a drift or a large screwdriver through the brake caliper into 1 of the brake rotor vanes in order to prevent the drive axle wheel drive shaft from turning.
  2. Remove the nut and the washer from the hub. Do not reuse the nut. A new nut must be used when installing the wheel drive shaft.
  3. Using the J 45859 or equivalent, press the wheel drive shaft from the hub.

1. Remove the 6 bolts (1) securing the wheel drive shaft inboard flange to the output shaft flange.
  2. Remove the drift from the rotor.
  3. Remove the stabilizer shaft link from the lower control arm. Refer to Stabilizer Shaft Replacement in Front Suspension.
  4. Wrap shop towels around both the inner and the outer wheel drive shaft boots in order to avoid damage to the boots during removal and installation.
  5. Pull the wheel drive shaft through the lower control arm opening.

Installation Procedure

1. Wrap shop towels around both the inner and the outer wheel drive shaft boots in order to avoid damage to the boots during removal and installation. Important: Clean the steering knuckle and the wheel drive shaft splines and threads. These areas must be dry and free of grease, dirt, and contamination.
  2. Insert the wheel drive shaft splined shank into the knuckle hub. Notice: Use only a genuine GM front wheel drive shaft nut. Installation of anything but an OEM front wheel drive shaft nut could cause damage to the vehicle.
  3. Install the washer (3) and the new hub nut (2) to the wheel drive shaft. Do not tighten the new hub nut at this time.
  4. Attach the wheel drive shaft inboard flange to the output shaft flange using the inboard flange bolts (1).

Notice: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions.

1. Insert a drift or a large screwdriver through the brake caliper into 1 of the brake rotor vanes in order to prevent the wheel drive shaft from turning.
    • Tighten the inboard flange bolts to 79 Nm (58 ft. lbs.) .
    • Tighten the hub nut to 240 Nm (177 ft. lbs.) .
  1. Remove the drift from the rotor.

1. Install the drive axle center cap, if equipped.
  2. Install the stabilizer shaft link. Refer to Stabilizer Shaft Replacement in Front Suspension.
  3. Install the wheel and tire assembly. Refer to Tire and Wheel Removal and Installation.
  4. Lower the vehicle.

JOHN aka Eauto, The Car Guy
Experience: ase tech