Matt J
Matt J, Chevy Technician
Experience:  10+ years automotive tech, 5 years of experience in a GM dealer

2005 chevy express 3500: stays..The oil pressure gauge goes..oil level

2005 chevy express 3500 cargo van........

Check oil light comes on when you start the engine and stays on for a while. The oil pressure gauge goes to about 40 and and moves up and down slightly when you press the gas. the oil level is fine.. what could this mean?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Matt J replied 4 years ago.

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be more than happy to assist you.

Is it the Low Oil Light or the Low Oil Pressure Light that comes on?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
its got a wrench and next to it oil symbol same light
Expert:  Matt J replied 4 years ago.

The light is only tells you the Engine oil needs to be changed or it is Low.

If you had the vehicle serviced and you know oil level is good then someone did not reset the oil life system.

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok. so that makes sense but why does the pressure gauge move when you push on gas? how do i reset it? :)

Expert:  Matt J replied 4 years ago.

The oil pump runs off the Camshaft. so when the speed of the camshaft increases the oil pump drive increases and the oil pressure goes higher.

GM Oil Life System Resetting

When the system has calculated that oil life has been diminished, it will indicate that an oil change is necessary. A ENGINE OIL light message will come on. Change the engine oil as soon as possible within the next 600 miles (1 000 km). It is possible that, if driving under the best conditions, the oil life system may not indicate that an oil change is necessary for over a year. However, the engine oil and filter must be changed at least once a year and at this time the system must be reset.

If the system is ever reset accidentally, change the engine oil at 3,000 miles (5 000 km) since last oil change.

How to Reset the Engine Oil Life System

1. Turn the ignition key to RUN with the engine OFF.
  2. Fully press and release the accelerator pedal slowly three times within five seconds.
  3. If the CHANGE ENGINE OIL light flashes for five seconds, the system is reset.
  4. Turn the key to LOCK.

If the CHANGE ENGINE OIL SOON message comes back on when you start the vehicle, the ENGINE OIL LIFE SYSTEM has not reset. Repeat the procedure.

Matt J, Chevy Technician
Experience: 10+ years automotive tech, 5 years of experience in a GM dealer
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you so much i have changed the oil in this for the last 120,000 miles and its never came on weird thank you