Jim b
Jim b, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  AAA Approved Repair Shop 38 Years Exp
16094637

2005 Chevrolet Malibu: wont shift..3rd or 4th gear and cant..dipstick

Customer Question

Hi we have a 2005 Chevrolet Malibu that wont shift into 3rd or 4th gear and cant even find dipstick if there is one. Thanks Jim
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Jim b replied 7 years ago.
There is not dipstick only a fill plug. Here is the procedure to check the level on a rack. If the level is good then a scan must be done next to determine if you have any trans codes. This requires a scanner capable of reading problems even if he check engine light is not on.

4T45E Transmission. How to fill the transmission with fluid. There is no dipstick.

1. From under the vehicle, locate the oil level control plug in the side of the transmission case near the torque converter. It's a few inches above the transmission pan. Remove the plug.

2. From on top of the transmission, remove the vent plug assembly.

3. With the engine idling at operating temperature, add transmission fluid through the top hole until it runs out of the bottom hole.

I will get an image of vent plug and trans level plug

Expert:  Jim b replied 7 years ago.

graphicgraphic

Vent, fill plug on top

This should get you to a starting point.

Thank you, Jim

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Jim thx, then where can i read code and have you seen this before? Considering the fluid is up when i get there and yes i will be accepting, of course . Thanks again !
Expert:  Jim b replied 7 years ago.
Jim ,
Have not seen it but will check for any bulletins and get back to you.
How many miles on car. Did it happen all of a sudden?
Thanks, Jim
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Jim Your quick, Im waiting for sister to call on her break for details car has 62,000. Thx Jim S

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hi Jim i just talked to sister and found she already had a code 5757 , solenoid issue.. So im going up to her house now. I should have talked to her first instead of second hand info from our dad! I already hit accept and appreciate your help.
Expert:  Jim b replied 7 years ago.
Thanks again. Jim