Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Car overheating while sitting still.

Car overheating while sitting still.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
This is a good indication the cooling fan is not working which could be a fuse, relay, or fan motor itself. The cooling fan motor on this vehicle is very common to fail. You can unplug the connector going to hte van to see if it has good power and ground when vehicle is warm if so replace fan motor. Do not overheat the vehicle or it can lead to major engine damage, shut off before it gets too hot. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
How much does a repair typically cost? Estimate.
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
About $600-$700 worst case scanario but it oculd be something such as a fuse, relay, or wiring problem which would be under $200. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have checked and the fan is working. Could it not be cooling enough? As long as I am driving the temp stays at 210 degrees but as soon as I am sitting still it climbs to 260, which is to the mark. There was hardly any water in it at all this afternoon when the problem began, but it isn't leaking. I filled it up with water thinking it would solve the problem, but it didn't.
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.

If you are going through coolant without any external leaks then the problem is either a headgasket or intake gasket. Most likely a headgasket since it is causing overheating, you will have to bring the vehicle to a shop so they can perform a pressure test to verify it is the problem. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
How involved is it to change a headgasket? How long would it take? I had a Tahoe before this, the head cracked on it and after major money it still didn't run right so I traded it for the Trailblazer.
Expert:  Dan replied 7 years ago.
It is a pretty large job on this vehicle......about 24 hours shop rate and then around $300 for the parts. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.