Ivan
Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech. 20+ years experience. 9 years self employed. Expert on AUTOLAB Radio Show
10772012

86 corvette no start

Customer Question

86 corvette no start
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ivan replied 4 years ago.

HelloCustomer just to clarify, when you turn the key does the engine crank over?

Your JA Expert,

Ivan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no crank no relay clicks
Expert:  Ivan replied 4 years ago.
Ok, first test, go down to the starter and with a test light or voltmeter connected to ground, check for power on the purple wire on the starter solenoid when you turn the car to crank. Let's see if we have power making it to the starter. Let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
checked power to starter with test light lg lead is good do not have a helper to check other lead
Expert:  Ivan replied 4 years ago.
We need to know what is at that other lead. Try this, see if you can hook the test light ground clip to that terminal and touch the test light to ground where you can see it. Secure it into place and crank the car and look for the light
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no power to test light when key is turned
Expert:  Ivan replied 4 years ago.
Do you have a security light illuminated when you turn the car to crank?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Ivan replied 4 years ago.
Ok, then that is our issue. You have one of two problems. Either the pellet in the key is dirty or worn and the antitheft system is not recognizing it, or the wires going to the ignition lock cylinder that reads that pellet have broken. That is very common. Try these two options first, if you have a second key, try it. If not, use a pencil eraser to clean the pellet in the key. Wait 4 minutes between attempts to allow the timer to time out. If you try sooner the timer resets. We can troubleshoot the system or I can tell you how to bypass the system, but try the first suggestions first.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
sorry I was mistaken the security light was flashing because one ot the doors was open it does not flash or come on when key is turned
Expert:  Ivan replied 4 years ago.
Ok, then we change direction. Is your car manual or automatic?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
auto
Expert:  Ivan replied 4 years ago.

Ok, here is a diagram of the starting system. I'd like you to check for power at the Dark green wire at the neutral safety switch and the purple wire at the neutral safety. Let me know. It's after midnight here, so I'll be online for about 30 minutes more. If I don't respond, I'll check first thing in the morning and we can continue tomorrow. Let me know what you find.

graphic

Ivan, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience: ASE Master Tech. 20+ years experience. 9 years self employed. Expert on AUTOLAB Radio Show
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
power to purple wire nopower to grn
Expert:  Ivan replied 4 years ago.

Can you double check the readings. The dark green/white wire going to the neutral safety switch gets power through the starter enable relay. That wire passes through the neutral safety and out the purple wire. For the purple wire to get power, the Dark Green/white wire has to have power or there would be no supply voltage to that purple wire. Let's recheck that if you can.

Ivan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

6 terminals on plug pur no grn\wht no grn no blue yes red\blk no blk\wht no

blue live with key on all others dead with key on or start

Expert:  Ivan replied 4 years ago.
The neutral safetly is in the center console. See if those wires go to a plug and on the other side of the plug is the wire colors in the diagram.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

6 wire plug goes to neutral switch no other wires or plug near by do not know what you mean

Expert:  Ivan replied 4 years ago.
I'm going to see if I can find a pinout of the switch so we can narrow down the colors. Give me a little bit.
Expert:  Ivan replied 4 years ago.

Let's do this a different way. Go to the starter enable relay. Below is it's location. Look for the following. Power on both yellow wires, when you turn the car to crank, Ground on the Dark Green wire and power on the Dark Green w/white wire. All of this when you turn the car to crank. Let me know what you find.

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

both yellow wires hot, key on and start.no power to others key on or start

Expert:  Ivan replied 4 years ago.
Ok, that means the antitheft is involved. Ground that dark green wire and see if the starter will engage. Let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
dk grn ground no engage. only yellow wires hot in start mode
Expert:  Ivan replied 4 years ago.
Take your test light or voltmeter and connect your ground lead to battery positive. Connect the positive lead to that green wire and turn the car to crank. Tell me if it shows voltage.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no voltage
Expert:  Ivan replied 4 years ago.
Ok, I don't expect the car to start, i just want to see if our starter will crank. With the car in park, I want you to create a jumper to jump the yellow to the dark green/white wire. See if the starter will engage.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no
Expert:  Ivan replied 4 years ago.

Is the neutral safety plugged in? If not plug it in and try it again

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It is pluged In
Expert:  Ivan replied 4 years ago.
With the yellow jumped to the green with the white, see if you have power on the purple at the neutral safety switch, when you turn the key to crank. Bear with me, I'm trying to visuallize what we have going on here. I know the antitheft is playing a role, I just don't understand why we can't get this starter to engage.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The car did not just stop running, I have put a new engine in ....Have to get up and go to work. I will get back with you on Sunday. Thanks for your help

Do I need to pay with each reply or do I wait for the problem to be solved?

Expert:  Ivan replied 4 years ago.

Ok, then, the car had no issues before the engine swap? That info does help. Next we certainly can continue on Sunday and finally you can pay whenever you are ready to, if you choose to, you only need to do it once. I'm with you until we fix this car, and we will fix it, don't worry. Logic always prevails. Just hit me up, when you are ready, and we'll pickup there.

Ivan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sounds Good, wish you lived in Dallas

Expert:  Ivan replied 4 years ago.
Hey will my guidance and your fingers, it will almost as if I was there.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Good morning let give you some history about car .It started prior to the engine swap but with knock (spun bearing) Orignal block rebuilt by reputable company.Only replace one sensor all others orignal,car has 125000 miles.Let me start with what I have checked .In the fuse box all fuses except fuel pump fuse (10 amp) and inst fuse (3 amp) are live with key on also fuse block behind center console that has 3 fuses ,3 amp hatch fuse,10 amp theft fuse and 5 amp crank fuse only 10 amp fuse live in start mode both others no power start mode or key on.All access.work except turn signals,dash lights and fuel pump. Also car has been sitting for 3 years help

thanks Jeff

Expert:  Ivan replied 4 years ago.
Ok, thanks for that. Hopefully we find a faulty connection somewhere. I want to see if we can make that starter engage from inside the car, because that will let us know we have circuits that are intact. To get back to the direction we were moving in the other day, Jump one of the yellow wires to the Dark Green/white wire at the starter enable relay. that should by pass the relay for at least starter operation. Then find that same dark green/white wire at the neutral safety. Check for power when you turn the key to crank, on the yellow, the dark green/white wire at the enable relay, then at the neutral safety, then check at the purple at the neutral safety. Let's see if we can get power to flow to that point. Let me know
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
all wires mentioned have power in start mode but purple wire at neutral switch
Expert:  Ivan replied 4 years ago.
Move the shifter around and see if you can get power out of that purple. if you can't that neutral safety switch is bad. That might not be our only problem, just one of them.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I removed the neutral safety switch at the plug when testing for power only way to test purple for volts

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I rehooked the neutral switch there is power to purple in start mode
Expert:  Ivan replied 4 years ago.
Ok, great, now go back to the starter and see if we have power on the purple wire on the small terminal of the starter solenoid when you turn the car to crank.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes there is power to pur. wire at starter
Expert:  Ivan replied 4 years ago.

Ok, now I want you to take a pair of jumper cables and connect one side of one of the cables to battery ground, then take the other side of that same set and connect it to the starter body or starter bolt. Then with our jumped wires still connected, see if when you turn the key to crank the starter engages. Let me know, I'm home and online now.