michael
michael, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  17 ASE Cert.; over 20 yrs. exp./18 with GM
10669957

blazer: I HAVE TO REPLACE THE HEATER CORE..LS.

I HAVE TO REPLACE THE HEATER CORE ON 06 TRAIL BLAZER LS. INSTRUCTIONS SAY TO REFER TO GM SERVICE PROCEDURES FOR THE STEPS REQUIRED TO GAIN UNOBSTRUCTED ACCESS TO THE HEATER COVER. CAN YOU EMAIL THE STEPS REQUIRED?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  michael replied 5 years ago.

hello... below is the removal procedure for the heater core in your vehicle. there are a few sections and i've listed them all.

REMOVAL PROCEDURE

1. Drain the engine coolant. Refer to Cooling System Draining and Filling in Engine Cooling.
  2. Recover the refrigerant. Refer to Refrigerant Recovery and Recharging.
  3. Remove the instrument panel (I/P) carrier. Refer to Instrument Panel Carrier Replacement in Instrument Panel, Gauge. and Console.(SEE PROCEDURE BELOW)
  4. Reposition the heater hose clamps
  5. Disconnect the heater hoses from the heater core.
    Object Number: 735916  Size: SH

6. Remove the retaining nut (3) from the accumulator (6) at the evaporator (1).
  7. Disconnect the accumulator (6) from the evaporator (1).
  8. Disconnect the evaporator tube (4) from the evaporator (1).
  9. Disconnect all of the electrical connectors to the HVAC module assembly.
  10. Remove the HVAC module assembly.

INSTRUMENT PANEL REMOVAL

• Remove the center floor console. Refer to Console Replacement. (SEE PROCEDURE BELOW)
  • Remove the instrument panel (IP). Refer to Instrument Panel Assembly Replacement.
  • Remove the steering column with the steering wheel attached. Refer to Steering Column Replacement in Steering Wheel and Column.
  • Remove the floor console bracket. Refer to Floor Console Bracket Replacement.
    Object Number: 735921  Size: SH

• Remove the splice pack from the floor panel located on the right side of the HVAC center support bracket (5).
  • Remove the HVAC center support bracket (5) from the HVAC module (2).
    Object Number: 759085  Size: SH

• Remove the side window defogger duct.
    Object Number: 759101  Size: SH

• Remove the instrument panel cluster (IPC) wire harness attachments (1) from the steering column support bracket and IP carrier.
  • Remove the speaker wire harness attachments from the steering column support bracket and IP carrier.
    Object Number: 828710  Size: SH

• Remove the IP wiring harness retaining screws (1) from the IP support brackets, located near the steering column support bracket .
    Object Number: 759100  Size: SH

• Remove the 2 bolts (1) located at the top of the steering column support bracket.
    Object Number: 759097  Size: SH

• Remove the 2 bolts (1) located underneath the steering column support bracket.
    Object Number: 759084  Size: SH

• Detach and remove the SIR harness from the IP carrier.
  • Disconnect the radio antenna cable located near the blower motor.
  • Detach and remove the IP wire harness from the right side of the IP carrier.
  • Remove the radio harness form the IP carrier.
  • Remove the temperature sensors from the ventilation ducts.
  • Remove the transfer case control module from the steering column support bracket.
    Object Number: 759102  Size: SH

• Remove the upper and lower bolts retaining the IP carrier to the right cowl side carrier bracket.
  • Remove the center bolt (1) that retains the IP carrier to the right cowl side carrier bracket.
    Object Number: 759104  Size: SH

• Remove the upper and lower bolts retaining the steering column support bracket to the left cowl side carrier bracket.
  • Remove the center bolt (1) that retains the steering column support bracket to the left cowl side carrier bracket.
    Object Number: 759082  Size: SH

• Remove the 6 nuts that retain the HVAC module to the IP carrier.
  • Remove the IP carrier and steering column support bracket assembly from the vehicle and place on a clean prepared surface.
  •  

CONSOLE REMOVAL

• Block the wheels to prevent the vehicle from moving.
  • Remove the rubber ash tray inserts and rubber mat from the console.
  • Remove the floor shift control knob.
  • Remove the console storage compartment. Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

• Remove the center console retaining screws.
  • Adjust the parking brake to the full-up, or fully engaged position.
  • Slide the console rearward and raise the rear of the console in order to expose the electrical connectors.
  • Disconnect the electrical connectors, as necessary.
  • Adjust the parking brake to approximately the halfway position.
  • Remove the center console from the vehicle.
  • If replacing the floor console base, remove the following and retain for transfer:
    11.1. Remove the HVAC control module (if equipped).
    11.2. Remove the armrest.
    11.3. Remove the HVAC module and duct assembly.
    11.4. Remove the cupholder.
    11.5. Remove the HVAC upper duct
  • michael, ASE Certified Technician
    Experience: 17 ASE Cert.; over 20 yrs. exp./18 with GM