Matt J
Matt J, Chevy Technician
Experience:  10+ years automotive tech, 5 years of experience in a GM dealer
14582819

2002 Chevy Avalanche 1500: replace fuel..fuel pump including

Customer Question

2002 Chevy Avalanche 1500 proceedure to replace fuel pump including dropping the tank...pictures ...btw...time to do this.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Matt J replied 4 years ago.

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be more than happy to assist you.

To replace the fuel pump it takes 3 to 4 hours.

• Raise the vehicle.
  • Remove the evaporative emission (EVAP) canister mount bolts.
    Object Number: 569579  Size: SH

• Disconnect the pipes at the EVAP canister.
    Object Number: 627206  Size: SH

• Disconnect the vent valve pipe (3) at the EVAP canister bracket.
  • Remove the EVAP canister from the vehicle.
  • Object Number: 569639  Size: SH
  • Disconnect the chassis fuel pipes (2) at the fuel tank pipes (1).
  • Cap the fuel and EVAP pipes in order to prevent possible fuel system contamination.
    Object Number: 625803  Size: SH

• Disconnect the EVAP vent pipe at the fuel tank clip (5).
    Object Number: 570590  Size: SH

• Loosen the vent hose and filler hose clamp (4, 2).
  • Disconnect the vent hose and filler hose from the pipe.
    Object Number: 570588  Size: SH

• With the aid of an assistant, support the fuel tank.

Notice: Do not bend the fuel tank straps. Bending the fuel tank straps may damage the straps.

• Remove the fuel tank strap attaching bolts.
  • Remove the fuel tank straps.
  • Carefully lower the rear of the fuel tank slightly.
  • Remove the fuel sender cover on the Suburban only.
    Object Number: 373155  Size: SH

• Disconnect the fuel sender and the fuel pressure sensor electrical connectors.
  • Remove the fuel tank.
  • Place the fuel tank in a suitable work area.
    Object Number: 570582  Size: SH

• Remove the fuel feed and return pipes (3) from the fuel sender and the retaining clips.
  • Remove fuel lines from sender assembly.
    Object Number: 386369  Size: MH

• Remove the fuel sender assembly retaining ring
  • Remove the fuel sender assembly and the seal. Discard the seal.

Caution: Drain the fuel from the fuel sender assembly into an approved container in order to reduce the risk of fire and personal injury. Never store the fuel in an open container.

• Clean the fuel sender sealing surfaces.
  • Matt J, Chevy Technician
    Experience: 10+ years automotive tech, 5 years of experience in a GM dealer
    Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Do I have to do this on a lift or or can I put it up on Jackstands? BTW thanks for responding so fast...I will leave you a tip.

Expert:  Matt J replied 4 years ago.
    It is a lot easier on a lift, but yes you can do the job with the vehicle on jack stands. You will want to at least get the frame of the vehicle 2 to 3 feet off the ground to give your self enough room to pull the tank out from under the vehicle.
    Customer: replied 4 years ago.
    MATT,

Little issue...there does not appear to be ample room from a lift or with jackstands to get to the fittings on the tank...I can feel them but they dont appear to be the same as in the drawing...i am at the top left side of the tank and the pipe feels like it is attached to rubber hose and not quick disconnects or fittings. First, if I loosen the tank bolts, does that give me room and second, am I not in the right area...any help you can provide will be useful
    Expert:  Matt J replied 4 years ago.

I went out to my truck and took so pictures to help out. My silverado is set up in about the same way.

With the 3 bolts at the fuel filler neck removed

Remove the EVAP Canister and disconnect the 2 fuel lines in front of the fuel tank. With those lines disconnected you can drop the tank out. Don't worry about the lines on top of the tank. Once you have the tank lowered disconnect the electrical connectors.

If you need more info please let me know.

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
    Matt...thanks sorry been sick..so here is the deal on this...these...they are way less accesable in the Avalancehe...so, I cut a hole in the floorboard above the pump and build an access door out of diamond sheet. Too much room for error and breakage...guesswork etc...cause I cant see. I took the guess work out.
    Expert:  Matt J replied 4 years ago.

The only reason I have more room is my truck has a 3 inch body lift.

I have cut holes to get to fuel pumps myself, it might not be a approved way but it works.