Joe, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine inboards and electronics, automotive drivability, all around repair tech,

1992 Suburban: K1500 with a TBI 5.7..spark plugs

I have a 1992 Suburban K1500 with a TBI 5.7. I was having some running problems, and I replaced the spark plugs and wires. When I replaced the cap and rotor, I replaced the plug wires according to a firing order I printed up for the truck. Now it won't start, and it kicks back against the starter like the spark timing is off. What is the best way to determine if my distributor is timed correctly?

It sounds like your plug wires are off, which the diagrams are not always correct, however now you need to remove number one plug put your finger over it and bump the motor untill you feel the air push your finger then turn the engine by hand to zero, you are now at tdc, now just drop the distributor in and point the rotor whereever you want 1 to be on the cap and just follow the firing order on the intake manifold, once everything is done as listed then take the plastic cover off of the pass side firewall and disconnect the single wire connector and start the engine, now adjust distributor to correct timing, once done turn off engine and connect the wire back up.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Are there any timing marks on top of the distributor that I can use? I would hate to be a tooth off.

With how I explained it to be done there is no way for it to be off, because the engine will be at tdc and then you put the distributor in and make the rotor point at whatever tower you want to be number one, then you just follow your firing order and everything exactly as listed above.

No there are no marks on the distributor. Other then this you will need to get the wires exactly where they should be on the cap and fiddle with the distibutor untill you get it to at least start then disconnect that wire and put a timing light on it and time it.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
As long as there are only 8 ways for the distributor to go on to the cam gear.
That does not matter thats why if you follow the instructions I gave you the motor is going to be at tdc top dead center, then it does not matter where you put the distributor in at as long as you pick a tower and use that tower as one then follow the firing order is all that matters, once the engine is set to tdc you can make 1 where ever you want on the cap it does not matter.

Nick this is the way I always do them, I never use a diagram unless I have to because sometimes they are not correct. This is another reason then you want to do one wire at a time.

If you need further assistance I will be glad to help you.