Joe
Joe, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine inboards and electronics, automotive drivability, all around repair tech,

silverado..Fuel issue. Have no fuel pressure, have power out of relay

2001 silverado with 5.3 vortec. Fuel issue. Have no fuel pressure, have power out of relay to the pump. can you get at the wire harness for the fuel pump at the pump itself without dropping the gas tank
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Joe replied 4 years ago.

Grab a can of pb blaster and soak the fittings on the fuel filter.

Since you have zero fuel pressure it is best since you state power out of the relay to then go to the connector for the fuel pump. Yes you can access it without dropping the tank, check for power there and chances are you have power and good ground there, after this if found good then when you turn key on if you cannot hear the fuel pump then remove gas cap and listen for it to run about 3 secs then turn off. You will then have to drop the tank and change the pump if you are getting good power and ground to the pump but is not working.

Thanks,

Joe

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
where is the connector for the fuel pump? Is it on the rail or what?
Expert:  Joe replied 4 years ago.

yes it will be on the side or top of the frame rail right at the tank.

Sometimes it is just as easy to remove the bed to service the pump, sometimes not.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
bed has a 100 gallon diesel fuel tank on it so that option is out. Have our mechanic with us. Due to a partner dispute he's no longer active in business. We towed the truck home for him to work on it and of course it's pouring rain here as usual. They've already tried the blaster stuff on the fittings so hopefully tomorrow when weather is better they can get truck up on ramps to better see everything. Thank you for your help.
Expert:  Joe replied 4 years ago.
use pb blaster and let it sit overnight, then make sure you use line wrenches and break it free and work back and fourth they will come loose, just put the wrenches close enough so you can close one hand as they work towards each other and it will break free.
Joe, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE, electronics, Marine inboards and electronics, automotive drivability, all around repair tech,