cartech
cartech, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  25 years ase mastertech. shop owner and tech
1511099

A head gasket on a 2000 cavalier......now engine..engine wont start

just changed a head gasket on a 2000 cavalier......now engine won't start.....need help
Category: Chevy
Expert:  cartech replied 7 years ago.

Welcome I will be assisting you. Please give me as much information as you can no matter how insignificant. If at anytime you need more information please ask. When you are completely satisfied then please accept my answer and leave positive feedback. If you cant leave positive feedback then my job is not done. Please ask for more information

things i would check are the crank sensor plug it gets missed alot the other thing is the firing order

graphic

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
actually wasn't the crank sensor......apparently number two spark plug was broken during removal of the head......fixed that and it fired right up but was still overheating and pouring thick white smoke from the exhaust.....thinking a cracked head now.......so gonna replace that......what i do need to know is the proper torque setting for the valve rockers and head bolts......repair manual said rockers were 19.....and the head bolts were 43 for the short....46 for the long......all with an additional turn of 90 degrees........19 for the rockers turned out to be way too tight......wouldn't allow the motor to start.......as for the head bolts....43 and 46 worked just fine but the additional 90 degrees made it feel like the bolts wanted to snap at about 45 degrees of a turn so decided against following it past 46. rocker torque specs aren't too big of a deal for that i can adjust them manually with motor running.....though they would help.......but really do need the head bolt specs.....thank you for your time
Expert:  cartech replied 7 years ago.
the specs you have are correct and must be to this the rockers are not adjustable and the head bolts are not reusable if you reuse them and tourqe them they will break