Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  20 Year Factory Trained Current GM Technician

2002 Chevy: 4X4 doesnt work..whats wrong..of the front wheels turn

Customer Question

The 4X4 doesn't work on my 2002 Chevy silverado. It worked before but im not shure whats wrong. You push the button and you can hear the solenid click but neither of the front wheels turn on snow/ice/mud.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
How many buttons on the 4x4 switch?

What do the lights on the switch do?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There is a 4high and 4low also there is a 2 high neither of the 4X4's work. The lights turn on as if theyre working properly.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
Does the 4hi button light comes on and stays on when you select it? Does an error message come up that says service 4wd.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes the light on the button stays on. No message comes on the message center.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
ok, there are a couple of things you can go at this. You can get the codes checked in the transfer case module. But to do that you would need a scan tool that can read codes in that system.
You can check the front axle actuator to see if it is working. unscrew the actuator and plug it up and shift it in 4wd and see if the plunger comes out. If it doesnot come out, Check for power on the brown wire and a ground on the black wire and a ground on the light blue wire when you shift it in to 4wd.
Check those and let me know and we can go from there.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok sorry I forgot about this website. I have a little more information. Once in a while it will work because there's no way I wouldof made it down this one road. Also I forgot to mention it is a 1500hd if that makes a difference. The transfer case was replaced 4 years ago. I have had he code checked and there is none. Also I forgot to say the four wheel drive has an auto mode two.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Alright so I finally got around to pulling the front actuator out and it works like it should and the electric actuator on the transfer case apperars to work because you can turn the front drive shaft easily with it in 2X4 but when you lock it in it wont with the front wheels in the air. It does have the Auto 4X4 feature and if you turn it on once in a while the servce center says "service four wheel drive". Where do i go from here?
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
When you check the codes, Was the the transfer case module you checked codes in?
This is a different module than the engine module that you can check with a code reader.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I checked the codes with a bully dog tuner on the OBD port. Is there a different way to check thoes codes?

Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
You need a scanner that can read the codes and the data in the other modules. Most of these will only read codes in the engine and some will do transmission module codes.